Need some help here

Discussion in 'Windows' started by terencehoward3005, Apr 1, 2014.

1. terencehoward3005

terencehoward3005

I have a win7 with a 500 gb 5400 rpm hdd. Now, I need a solution that makes sure I can conveniently get back data no matter what. Incase virus / malware infects me external hdds are out. With antiviruses, there is no assurance. Data lost is lost. Plus it slows down the pc. My data is also precious to me. I was thinking the answer is a recovery solution. I think Rollback Rx is a good recovery tool. I think its convenient to use. What do you say? Do you have suggestions other than it? I was given the name by a friend whose opinions i respect in such matters

terencehoward3005, Apr 1, 2014
  2. terencehoward3005

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Regarding a 'Back up... Macrium reflect is FREE... and is only 2.18 Mb

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

If you want FREE software, Checked to be virus free... then get it from
    www.majorgeeks.com :)

Set up your computer exactly as you want it... then using Macrium Reflect make an exact copy of your C: drive to either the D: drive or to an external Drive where it will be safer.

As and when trouble wrecks your system, use that exact copy to restore your computer to how it SHOULD be.

If like some people, you install change programs regularly, :cool: then do an Incrememtal Macrium Reflect back up over the top of your 'Perfect set up' so you will not have to change any thing after you restore it. :rolleyes:

PS I have nothing to do with Major Geeks - I'k just a Private Individual...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 1, 2014
  3. terencehoward3005

Nestone50

When you say "data," I'm assuming you mean your documents, photos, music, etc. and not necessarily your programs and operating system. If that is the case, this is what I do.
    Download "Sync Toy 2.1" from Microsoft's website; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155
    I have a 64 GIG flash drive that I keep on my key ring. Set up Sync Toy to backup files & folders from your computer to the flash drive. As my key ring is always with me when I leave the house, I need not worry about losing my files should I be burgled or the house burns down! You could also use Sync Toy to do a backup to a high capacity SD card if you have a SD card slot in your computer. The only down side to this is you must remember to do the manual backup as often as you need to. The up side is that if you were to accidentally download one of those viruses that encrypt your data for ransom, you have your data files safe & secure on the flash drive or SD card.
    I also have the free Google Drive account and have 15 gigs of free storage there and have my computer set to automatically back up my data files. You can select which folders and files to automatically back up as long as you are on a w-ifi network. If you have more than what Google allows for free, you can also set up free cloud backup with Skyview, Dropbox, etc.

Nestone50, Apr 1, 2014
  4. terencehoward3005

mikelouis

The best way would be to make sure that you have a backup on the external drive for any of your important documents. That is what I do to keep my data safe. Even if you have several partitions on same machine, the virus can easily spread and you will be in trouble.

mikelouis, Apr 7, 2014
Ask a Question