Need keyboard tech help

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by marcstrand, Dec 23, 2012.

1. marcstrand

marcstrand

I've got an Acer Aspire One 721-3574 that dual boots to Win 7 and Android 4.0.3. I was taking it apart to install a touch screen (but that's another story). When I went to put it all back together, I can't get the keyboard ribbon to connect to the motherboard. I've got the clip in place that is supposed to fasten the ribbon to the MB, but I can't seem to get the ribbon in far enough so that the clip grabs and holds it, so the keyboard doesn't do a thing when I press the keys. I can attach a keyboard to one of the USB ports and everything works fine, so it appears the rest of my reassembly is OK. I took it to a local repair shop, but the tech couldn't do anything and said he thought maybe one of the pins was slightly bent/not aligned. My eyesight is OK, but I can't see the connector well enough to notice anything that looks bent, even with a bright light and magnifying glass. Can anyone recommend a repair service that doesn't want $100 or more + my first born. (I'm OK with the first born thing, but I'd like to spend less than $100, not more....) Anyone?

Thanks.

Marc

marcstrand, Dec 23, 2012
  2. marcstrand

something back

There should be a crease line on the ribbon that indicates how far the
    ribbon was pushed in. Have you tried to place the ribbon in the
    other side around just in case it's the wrong way around.

something back, Dec 24, 2012
  3. marcstrand

marcstrand

Thanks for your ideas.

There's a crease line, but I don't know if it's due to some amount of bending of the ribbon by the previous owner, or previous insertion depth, or ??? I've tried to insert the ribbon to that depth, but it just won't go, at least not for me. And there's no way I can reverse the side of the ribbon going in. All of this is why I think I need the services of an expert, not that I want to spend the money, but because I have run out of things that I can try on my own.

marcstrand, Dec 24, 2012
  4. marcstrand

something back

5. marcstrand

marcstrand

Thanks for the link to the service manual. I already have that link, and I used it when disassembling and reassembling my netbook. It's a very useful link.

When I attempt to insert the KB ribbon, I'm trying to push it under the pins, and it doesn't seem to want to go in all that far. Plus the clip goes up and down, but it doesn't seem to lock into the down position (maybe because I don't have the ribbon in far enough. And it appears to me as if the exposed individual wire connector are on the bottom side of the ribbon, while the pins are above it, which doesn't seem like they would contact each other, does it?

marcstrand, Dec 24, 2012
  6. marcstrand

something back

Hi I have only done one of these keyboard ribbons. My hearts still thumping months later. I remember I used a pair of tweezers to tease the ribbon into the connector. Wiggling it side to side until aligned with the crease line. It seems that the clip/connector clamps down onto the ribbon forcing the pins through the ribbon itself. Last words are good luck.

Ask a Question