My Open Office crashed Helpppp!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sk3rmo, Oct 19, 2008.

1. sk3rmo

sk3rmo

i was working on a spreadsheet when i tried to open another spreadsheet. And then all of a sudden a window popped out informing me that my Open Office Org has crashed and instructed me to copy the error report and paste in my bug report.

1. Being a total linux noobie can somebody please tell me what to do.
    2. HOw can i access "bug report"?
    3. My open office doesn't work now. Everytime i click on it the pop up window comes out informing me that the
    application has crashed.

can someone please help me out here. Would really appreciate your inputs.

tia

Btw, i have a linux 8gb ssd with 1gb ram. Basically untouched and unmodded. Have not done any live updates recently.

thanks again

sk3rmo, Oct 19, 2008
  2. sk3rmo

taplant

Hi,

Can't help on the reason for the crash (may just be a one-off oddity) but on the "can't run open office", one thought is that due to crash some open office process is still running or has stopped but generated a lock file.

Call up a terminal window and type: ps ax | grep calc

That will list any processes with the word "calc" (open office spreadsheet) and you'll get something like this:

ps ax | grep calc
    28251 ? Ss 0:00 /bin/sh /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -calc
    28261 ? Sl 0:05 /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin -calc
    28654 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep calc

if some processes are still there (otherwise you'll just get the "grep calc". If you see some openoffice processes, kill them. At the terminal type: kill -9 28251 28261

Use the process numbers you get from the ps command.

Then start openoffice in the usual way.

Best Regards
    Tony

taplant, Oct 20, 2008
Ask a Question