My laptop upgraded itself to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows' started by techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016.

1. techilliterate

techilliterate

Help someone! I woke up and turned on my computer to check my email and everything looked different. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw the message that I've been successfully upgraded to Windows 10! But I didn't ask for Windows 10, I liked my old system. I didn't accept the upgrade process, so why did it upgrade on its own??

On top of that, I can't find all my files now, like my school papers and excel sheets. What do I do now?

techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016
  2. techilliterate

Dilof

You should probably system restore your laptop. Microsoft has been pretty much forcing Windows 10 down peoples throats recently and sneakily updating peoples systems to Windows 10. I'm really not sure why they're doing this as if people wanted Windows 10 they'd download it themselves.

Dilof, Mar 19, 2016
  3. techilliterate

techilliterate

I'm getting a friend to help with the downgrade, since I'm dumb about this stuff. It's so upsetting! I didn't ask for Windows 10; I specifically said no to it, everytime it popped up. Now I have to redo my latest school paper, too, because it seems like my files are gone.

It's scary, because my laptop was asleep, which means it must have woken up to do the upgrade, even though I didn't touch it. This is mafia tactics!

techilliterate, Mar 19, 2016
  4. techilliterate

Dilof

Definitely. Microsoft has a monopoly on it though so they don't really have any competition or incentive. They want to phase out the other windows versions by a specified date or something; but forcing people to upgrade is silly.

Dilof, Mar 19, 2016
  5. techilliterate

Sefie

Don't worry, odds are Microsoft let you know in a pop up they were going to update your Windows to Windows 10, but you closed it without reading it (don't we all do that at this point after all those pop ups). They tried to do the same to me yesterday, they just say they had already programmed a day for my upgrade, I checked again today in hopes to see a cancel option and I did find it. Funny, because yesterday it wasn't there ;)

I'm guessing this is what happened to you, but no worries, you can go back to your old Windows after 31 days. When I cancelled my upgrade I got a message stating that.

Sefie, Mar 20, 2016
  6. techilliterate

rz3300

Well I have never heard of this happening, but I cannot say that I am too surprised. I would be upset too, and there are a lot of times that I can think of when the upgrade was not ideal for me and I regretted doing it, and this seems like one of those. I have heard mixed reviews about Windows 10 but the main thing was how different it was, so having it done automatically is kind of suspect to me.

rz3300, Mar 20, 2016
  7. techilliterate

techilliterate

It's definitely suspect! There should be a class action lawsuit for this. I don't see how this is acceptable in any way. First they kept nagging me to do the upgrade, then after closing that box repeatedly, they decide to do the upgrade anyway! And now my files are gone. I think my laptop hates me :(

techilliterate, Mar 20, 2016
  8. techilliterate

Moist Towels

There might be a "Windows.OLD" folder in your drive somewhere. Try seeing if your files are in there.

Moist Towels, Apr 7, 2016
  9. techilliterate

sparkster

Wow, I didn't know that Microsoft were forcing it on people. I've just switched to Windows 10 myself but only because I bought a new laptop with it preinstalled. Before that I was using Windows 7. I'm guessing they upgraded you automatically from Windows 8 or was it a different operating system? I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about this but then again, I don't stay too up to date with the latest technological developments in recent times. It's all just too much. It's difficult enough staying up to date with what's going on with Android, let alone Windows 10.

sparkster, Apr 7, 2016
  10. techilliterate

Corzhens

Oh, I am greatly intrigued by this thread. A computer upgrading itself to a newer version of OS is science fiction material. Pardon me but I not humoring you. I believe that sometimes computers can do wonders that we couldn't think of. But my first impulse upon reading the title of this thread is a virus. Maybe a virus got inside your system and gained control by disabling the OS and installing an OS by itself.

I hope someone can post a clearer explanation on what really happened.

Corzhens, Apr 7, 2016
  11. techilliterate

spence88

I believe this is actually a bug, I've read an article where Microsoft admits that fact. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the affected OS if I remember correctly. This is actually an optional update, but some tests have shown that on some OS, it got chosen by default which is not supposed to happen with optional updates.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. That's really annoying.

Yikes! Should have turned it off completely. I think you've set the automatic updates setting to update itself at midnight. That's the default I believe.

spence88, Apr 7, 2016
  12. techilliterate

lilant702

What was your OS beforehand? I thought they started forcing the upgrade to users with computers that run an OS older than XP or Vista. If you had Windows 7 or 8 then you should've been fine, but to be honest, I'd believe you if you already had 7 or 8. I was downloading something on my computer, went to do something, came back, and there was an update happening on my computer at 1%. The update took an hour and I was not prompted beforehand for the update.

lilant702, Apr 8, 2016
  13. techilliterate

SirJoe

Don't blame the laptop, it was windows doing. If it did an upgrade it should have saved your files, unless it did a new installation then you might still have your old operating system installed on your laptop. If you can find the old operating system you might still be able to salvage your work.

SirJoe, Apr 10, 2016
  14. techilliterate

rz3300

Well I have to say that I am never a fan of when things automatically update to new version, especially when it is something that seems very invasive like this. It seems to me like you should be aware of the changes that are about to happen and be able to adapt to them before having it just thrust on you. I guess maybe that is how things are working these days, but I certainly hope that is not the case.

rz3300, Apr 10, 2016
Ask a Question