My Laptop battery not taking charge more than 1.3% each time. What to do please?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sameer219, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Sameer219

Sameer219

It's a Dell Inspiron 1545 and the Laptop battery takes charge up to 1.3% and doesn't charge more than that. It drains from 1.3% to 0 and again gets charge from 0 to 1.3% but not above that.
    Can u help me understand the problem please and also the solution if possible :(
    Thank u!

Sameer219, Oct 13, 2015
  2. Sameer219

Geozef

Hi Sameer! If you can find another batt.pack (battery pack) with the same model from your friends try to change it first, if doesn't work it means there's something wrong regarding the hardware components of your machine.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    Geozef, Oct 14, 2015
    Sameer219 likes this.
  3. Sameer219

kesjw

Hello Sameer. How long ago were you having this issue? You can attempt to leave the laptop off but plugged into AC power and charging for 24 to 48 hours to boost the battery. Do not use the laptop during this time. If all the battery cells have been drained it can leave your battery in a dead state and sometimes all it needs is a boost to go back to normal.

kesjw, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Sameer219

kesjw

If the above methods fail. Please Let me know as there are other options, before purchasing a new battery.

kesjw, Oct 14, 2015
  5. Sameer219

thess

Either get a new charger or a new battery. Or maybe you need both.

thess, Oct 23, 2015
  6. Sameer219

sparkster

Simply put, you need to buy a new battery or remove it and just run the laptop from the power lead. It's not charging any more than 1.3% because the rest of the cells in the battery are dead. They are not capable of holding a charge any more. It's irrepairable. You need a new battery.

sparkster, Oct 24, 2015
  7. Sameer219

Rezonate

Could be a problem with the charging jack on the laptop itself in had the same problem and I found out that the jack was lose inside and wasn't holding a charge so I soldered it back in place and fixed it myself

Rezonate, Dec 28, 2015
  8. Sameer219

IBMPC8088

It's either an old battery that can't charge the cells anymore or it's a bad charger on the laptop. You have 5 options:

1) New battery (if the charger is ok)
    2) Recertifiy the battery (there's a way to restore the cells to where they'll charge again. Not always possible, but cheaper than buying a new battery if you have someone in town that can do this for you)
    3) Replace the charger circuitry in the laptop if it shorted out.
    4) Use an external battery charger for the Inspiron 1545 battery (it's an external charger basically. If you don't use the battery often except on occasion, this can work as an alternative to repairing the laptop if the charger went bad)
    5) Sell it for parts or as-is to someone willing to do any of the 4 above. Ebay is a good place to do this, since there are always computer technicians and repair shops looking to buy laptops for parts.

IBMPC8088, Feb 3, 2016
  9. Sameer219

ACSAPA

There could be three possible problems here. You might need to get a replacement battery, which if you have the model name and/or the model number of your laptop, you could easily find a battery online. Another thing it could be is the charger. You might need a new charger, and once again, knowing your laptop's info can help facilitate the search for a new charger. The last issue, which is the most severe, is the jack where you plug the charger into your laptop might be broken. You'd need to either send your laptop back under warranty or spend money at a repair shop. I say the first thing you should do is research the info on your laptop.

ACSAPA, Feb 10, 2016
  10. Sameer219

Walter Garcia

What i did is i switched the battery for the one in my old laptop and that worked for a while and then had the same problem. At first I thought i fried both batteries so i swapped it for the original one that i put aside and it worked again! I believe that it may have overheated a component on the inside that i could not feel from touching the outside casing of the battery and by setting it aside for a day or two cooled the component enough to be used again.

Regards,
    Walter Garcia

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
    Walter Garcia, Feb 23, 2016
  11. Sameer219

rz3300

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but anytime I have had a battery issue I have ended up having to buy a new computer. I am sure that you can buy batteries, but it has always been a hassle for me and it has usually come at the time when I was thinking about getting a new one anyways. It all depends on what you can afford though, and I would say explore your options but you will certainly need a new one at the very least.

rz3300, Feb 24, 2016
  12. Sameer219

Corzhens

Your battery is due for a replacement. Sometimes you cannot discount the fact that factories come up with a lemon. So even if that's a Dell (a good brand) you cannot insist that it works perfectly. What I would suggest when you buy a new battery is to have it fully charged before using it and let it drain before charging it. That's the advice of our tech in the office.

Corzhens, Feb 24, 2016
Ask a Question