My issues and repair log

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Modred189, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Modred189

Modred189

Hey all,
    I have had a serious issue with my AAO, and I thought i would post the results and journey here.

First, I had the blue AAO with 1gb ram, 120gb hd and win xp from Best Buy. $350, and have been very happy. Smart of me, i got the Best Buy service plan, because on Friday, I went to turn the AAO on, and while the internal fan spun up, there was no activity from the screen or any of the LED's other than the power indicators. No HD activity, no lan, no BIOS post, nothing.

SO I took it in in Saturday. The Geek Squad hooked it up to a monitor to make sure to wasn't just a video issue (it wasn't). They came to the same conclusion as I, a dead mobo. :(

So they took it, shipped it out on monday, and using the Geek Squad website, I am tracking the system. It arrived today at Geek Squad City in Knoxville, TN, USA (I'm in Michigan, quick shipping).

I will update as I learn more, but so far, I must say that the Geeks were very helpful and tried all of the same tests as I (battery in/out, external monitor etc...).

Modred189, Nov 13, 2008
  2. Modred189

Modred189

Wow, quick update.

This morning, the status says that it has been looked at and that parts are on order for repair. I'm going to see if I can get more information from my local Geek Squad precinct...

Modred189, Nov 13, 2008
  3. Modred189

Modred189

Another quick one:
    A call to the local Geek Squad said that the mobo was found to be defective and another is on order.

Modred189, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Modred189

djt205

Sounds like the 'BIOS Brick Bug',

There are a million posts on here about this - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=903

Best Buy / Geek Squad types are dumbasses and I wouldn't let them change a light bulb let alone a motherboard in a laptop!

Hope you get it sorted :)

djt205, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Modred189

Modred189

Eh, I had a mobo go bad on an HP laptop a few years back. They replaced it, and I never had any issues with it since. Keep in mind the part timers they have working in the stores are a different bunch than the ones at the repair centers...

Modred189, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Modred189

Modred189

Last night, the unit was listed as repaired and enroute back to the store I took it too.

Now to hope they did not botch it.

Modred189, Nov 19, 2008
  7. Modred189

Modred189

Picked up my AAO today.
    Work great, and seems faster than it used to be. Snappier...

Anyway, the good news is that when they replaced the mobo, they put my 1gb upgrade ran back in. Wel, it could be good, could be bad if the ram is what is responsible. Though if I have enough problems I get a new one with my Best Buy warranty.

Overall, I give an A+ to my experience with the Geek Squad. They were quick, did a good job, and the website where youc an check your system's status was great.

Modred189, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question