My documents and usb going wrong...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sassygal, Mar 29, 2009.

1. sassygal

sassygal

I bought my aspire one a few months ago and it's been working fine for the purposes I need it for, which at the moment is word processing and watching dvds via an external cd/dvd drive I have to plug-in via one of the usb ports.

Yesterday, the dvd I was watching froze the system and I had to switch the computer off without shutting down. Now, when I turn it back on, it can't find my dvd drive when I plug it into the usb. It also doesn't detect my usb memory stick when i plug it in. Lastly, when i click on 'My documents' under 'files' on the start page, nothing happens. Luckily, I'm still able to access my files saved on the system if I open up 'word processor' and open it that way.

Please help!! I have a really important file saved on there which I can't save on a usb stick etc as it's not detecting it!

sassygal, Mar 29, 2009
  2. sassygal

barrie

Hi sassygal,

Not sure about your documents folder but regarding external drives try this

1.Open a terminal and launch the xfce4-autostart-editor
    2.Add this command sudo thunar –-daemon
    3.Reboot and test your USB.

There is a space between thunar and the first -

sudo thunar –daemon

If you can now see your external drives but they are read only then do the following.

Right click the desktop and select system > NTFS configuration tool type in your password and in the new box check the box next to enable write support for external drives.

barrie, Mar 29, 2009
Ask a Question