My computer keeps shutting itself off - help!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jmon47, Apr 10, 2009.

1. jmon47

jmon47

First off, sorry if this is in the wrong forum - no idea of it's a hardware vs. software issue, or if someone thinks it belongs in the beginner's forum. Also, I searched, and could find nothing that described the problem.

My AAO is about 2 weeks old. Yesterday, while on a ~2 hour flight, I used it to watch a couple of episodes of a TV show via iTunes. When the flight attendant asked everyone to turn off electronics, I turned off iTunes and started to shut down the computer. Before I could complete the shutdown, the screen shut off and I could not turn it back on. I didn't notice how much battery was left at that time, but figured that the battery might have died.

Today, I plugged it in and started it up. I the startup runs (WinXP), I even get the startup "music", but the system just shuts down after about 5 seconds. It does not run through the shut-down sequence, it just shuts down altogether and the screen goes black. Restarting results in the same thing every time. I was also able to attempt to restart in Safe Mode, and after running through a large number of commands (teh command prompt shows hundreds of commands being executed), it shuts down without getting through the startup.

For most of the day, the battery indicator was orange, but is now green. However, the same symptoms exist, and it still shuts down immeidately upon boot up. I also borrowed a 6-cell battery from a 10" Aspire One, and the same thing happened - boot up and immediate shut down.

I'm sure I could take it back to where I bought it (Fry's Electronics in LA), but if this is something that I can fix myself or is a known problem, I'd appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide.

jmon47, Apr 10, 2009
  2. jmon47

melhiore

melhiore, Apr 10, 2009
  3. jmon47

jmon47

Thanks a lot - I was able to get it to boot with help from the threads you posted.

I obviously FAIL at key word search, since the answer was out there. If mods want/need to delete this thread as superfluous, feel free to do so.

Now I just have to figure out if I SHOULD flash the bios, or if that's unnecessary.

THanks again - I'll post in the other threads if I have any additional questions.

jmon47, Apr 10, 2009
  4. jmon47

melhiore

Ask a Question