My adventure in kubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by katbert, Feb 5, 2009.

1. katbert

katbert

Disclaimer: I am using AA1 (8G SSD, 512 Ram) and I am still a beginner of Linux

1. Two days ago, I installed kubuntu by the "network install" and then rebooted. The ethernet disconnected :twisted: and this came from the bug in linux kernel 2.6.27.11. This drove me crazy :twisted: and I only had the AA1 in my house. In the end, I managed to get sickboy's kernel and it saved me. Sickboy, you're my hero! :)

2. I used firefox and found that google, gmail and yahoo were blocked! I tried to do everything: diabled the proxy, cleared the cache ... I still could not fix it even after researching for a while on the web.

3. For me, Kubuntu is much more annoying than M$ windows.

#2 is my major concern, I am not sure I can fix something like #2 on the road. So, I don't think I will use ubuntu based product on my AA1 in the near future.

katbert, Feb 5, 2009
  2. katbert

hardran3

RE: #2 Blocked is pretty vague. What does it say when you try to go to them? Do other sites work fine?

hardran3, Feb 5, 2009
  3. katbert

katbert

Some other sites can work. I can connect to google via anonymouse.

eeebuntu sounds pretty nice to me. If I install enough ram on my AA1, Kubuntu may also be gorgeous. However, #2 really makes me mad. The warning message should be something like "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at http://www.google.com".

Thanks for your concern. :)

Indeed, I am now starting my adventure in Fedora 10. :oops:

katbert, Feb 5, 2009
  4. katbert

Nudnik_de

I can't confirm this experience, I also installed Kubuntu 8.10 but with an USB stick. No issues with Ethernet nor with access to internet pages. Switched then over to Sickboy Kernel, which makes Kubuntu a pretty well running system on the one. I have to admit I have 1,5 GB on Aone 110.

Nudnik_de, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question