My AAO is dead!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hellojoanie, Feb 6, 2010.

1. hellojoanie

hellojoanie

Please can anyone help. I used my acer aspire one yesterday morning on the battery, I shut the lid to leave it sleeping and connected the charger, it was on charge all day. In the evening I disconnected the charger but did not do anything with the machine. This morning I went to switch it on but it is totally unresponsive. I am fairly sure it must be in some sort of 'sleep' mode as it was working flawlessly, has not suffered any trauma or the likes. But I cannot wake it up. It has no lights on, no noises, nothing, nada, it is to all intents and purposes a door stop!

This is what I have already tried:

1. Another mains cable and power brick.
    2. Leaving battery removed for several hours
    3. Replacing battery, hold power switch down, reconnect mains, keep holding power button.
    4. Removed and reseated memory.

It's still under warranty but I would rather not have to return it. I wonder if I could remove the cmos battery and it would reset everything? I guess that would void my warranty though.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

hellojoanie, Feb 6, 2010
  2. hellojoanie

Swarvey Moderator

Sounds like you need to blind flash a new BIOS. This problem seems to be very common on the AAO. All mine have done it at one stage. I'm not sure as to the procedure as its been a while since I've done it. Search the forums, it's here somewhere.

Swarvey, Feb 6, 2010
  3. hellojoanie

AOD150BLACK

Unfortunately, you cannot blind flash the bios if you cannot power it on.

I sometimes have a similar issue, but for me it seems to be a somewhat malfunctioning power button. If I smack the side of the case where the power adaptor connection is, it usually works.

I have not been kind to my Acer, I've modded the hell out of it, and have transported it in a plastic grocery bag hanging from my bike's handlebars allowing it to hit a trashcan. I"ve also dropped it at least 3 times from more than 3 feet high. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, with a couple of smacks now and then.

AOD150BLACK, Feb 7, 2010
  4. hellojoanie

stemcell

Can you tell me which AAO you have and I will try to helkp you out, AOD150BLACK is incorrect saying if it will not power on it will not flash....Fn+ESC when powering on allows you to flash as it keeps the power on.

stemcell, Feb 7, 2010
  5. hellojoanie

hellojoanie

Thanks for your thoughts. The sticker says it is AO531h-0BK, I think that's the info you need, it is a black one. If I flash the bios and it does not work, will I have voided my warranty do you think?

hellojoanie, Feb 7, 2010
  6. hellojoanie

stemcell

Thanks for the info, you are allowed to update your bios without voiding your warranty :)

I have downloaded the latest bios for your system ( BIOS_Acer_1.26_A_A) so just download the file in the link below and do the following.

1. Insert your USB drive/thumb drive into a working windows system. Open up my computer or computer and locate your usb drive and right click and select format. Format the drive with ‘FAT’ file system and not FAT32 (Try to use a small capacity usb stick or a memory card in a reader, ie less than 256mb). Reason being mine would not flash using a 1 gig usb drive but it did using a 128mb sd card in a reader!
    2. Download the attached zip file AO531h Recovery.ZIP
    3. Extract the files to the root directory of the USB Flash Drive, when you browse your usb drive it should look like this
    [​IMG]
    4. Turn off the Aspire One and make sure that the power adapter and battery are disconnected from the netbook.
    5. Plug in the USB stick to any port on the failed Aspire One
    6. Whilst pressing Fn+ESC plug the power adaptor in (note battery is not installed)
    7. Keep pressing Fn+ESC and then press the power button once. The power LED will now blink, after a few seconds let go of the Fn+ESC keys, it will now initiate the BIOS update, DO NOT INTERRUPT IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    8. After about 2 minutes, the power LED will stop blinking and the Aspire One will turn off. The BIOS is now complete.
    9. IF the unit DID NOT REBOOT BY ITSELF, wait a further 5 – 7 minutes before rebooting the unit as the BIOS may still be flashing.
    10. Now the unit is off remove the USB drive you used to flash, Install battery and power lead and turn on.
    11. You should have a working laptop

Link to the files you need http://rapidshare.com/files/347650240/A ... covery.zip

Can you please reply back whatever the outcome :)

stemcell, Feb 8, 2010
  7. hellojoanie

hellojoanie

Hi Stemcell, thanks for your link and files, I downloaded and tried exactly as you instruct (I work in IT so I know one end of a computer from the other!!). Unfortunately I still have a doorstop :cry: The power light did not flicker.

On the upside I have spoke to Currys from whence it came and they are uplifting it for repair tomorrow. However I will be keeping your emergency fix in-case of future needs.

Appreciate your time and effort. Thanks. :D

hellojoanie, Feb 8, 2010
Ask a Question