MS-Access type program?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jason G, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Jason G

Jason G

Hi all,

Is there a good MS-Access type program out there? I'm working on a spreadsheet in OpenOffice at the moment and would appreciate the different functions I'm missing - drop-down boxes, tick-boxes, relationships, etc.

Thanks!

Take care,

Jason :cool:

Jason G, Nov 27, 2009
  2. Jason G

RockDoctor

OpenOffice has a DBMS component - openoffice.org-base. I think it'll do forms (not sure; haven't really used it)

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2009
  3. Jason G

bendjo

Or LibreOffice :) It's the same group people who developed OpenOffice after Sun bought OpenOffice. You can open or save .xls using one of them without any problem.

bendjo, Jan 30, 2011
  4. Jason G

RockDoctor

I have to agree with bendjo. Libre Office wasn't an option back in November.

RockDoctor, Feb 14, 2011
  5. Jason G

sirwiggum

LibreOffice Base is a good call.

I feel the need to be pedantic about the origins of LibreOffice... :)

OpenOffice.org (to give it it's full legal title) started off as an open source version of StarOffice, source code supplied by Sun.
    The company which originally wrote it - StarDivision - had been bought by Sun as then they could produce their own branded Office suite that would run on Sun Solaris OS workstations.

Sun was bought by Oracle, and a dispute occured over OpenOffice.org . Many of the disgruntled developers left the OpenOffice.org project (as they had seen what had happened to OpenSolaris under Oracle's stewardship) and started a new fork which became known as LibreOffice (as in FreeOffice).

sirwiggum, Apr 20, 2011
Ask a Question