Most unusual laptop or laptop gadget?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by c3300, Mar 27, 2016.

1. c3300

c3300

Inspired by:
    In the thread about mouse or trackball I mentioned the laptop with a "mouse hole". I don't have pictures, because it passed through my hands quite a few years back now when I was fixing a driver problem for the owner (fun when the onboard backend stuff is in Chinese, which I don't speak). Apparently he'd taken it to an electronics shop in Hong Kong and told them to throw everything in.

I remember it so clearly because I'd never seen anything like it before or since. It was a tiny little laptop that when I saw it made me think it was gadget -mad. One of the other things I remember was the inbuilt camera in the normal position in the lid, but which was on a 360 degree swivel and could rotate freely. Somehow it still worked.

So what devices or laptops stand out in your experience? Have you encountered any really unusual ones or ones that just stuck in your mind?

c3300, Mar 27, 2016
  2. c3300

CasualGoofy

First inspired thread :D (that I know of) !

So that's how a "mouse hole" works! It sounds like a toy version/prototype for Wacom's Inkling Digital Sketch pen. I doubt I've seen anything more unusual in real life or online.

I wanted to say "Privacy Sock" is weird, but it's more of an accessory.

"USB Finger Dance Mat" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadgetshop-USB-Finger-Dance-Mat/dp/B000R29B42 is worth mentioning for odd gadget. It's probably fun? Though it looks like decorated directional keypad.

I have seen of those "24 port monster usb hub" in person when I went to Starbucks. Considering the price tag on it, it could've been a bootleg one. It looked excessive! I don't carry a dozen of usb gadgets!

My notebook is connected to a monitor often. So there's this one, that I thought it was interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Aspect-Right-Monitor-Frame-Silver/dp/B0006BAUW6

CasualGoofy, Mar 27, 2016
  3. c3300

vinaya

I have never seen anything unusual in a laptop such as mouse hole or notebook connected to another monitor. However I have seen some unusual thing on a desktop computer. The most unusual thing I have seen on a desktop computer was 10 computers were run from a single CUP.

vinaya, Mar 28, 2016
  4. c3300

SirJoe

I am actually surprised that there aren't even more strange things out there. It's a big market and the only limit is the manufacturers imagination. The weirdest thing that I have seen is a fan with led lights that would spell out words while it was cooling you down.

SirJoe, Mar 30, 2016
  5. c3300

Corzhens

It was a long time ago when the laptop was not very popular and there was no wifi yet. A colleague showed us his laptop with a big battery. At the time, the problem of laptops is the poor charging system where the battery easily discharges. It's not really funny but interesting how the laptop was charging with the use of a motorcycle's battery. It is actually a novelty of sorts and I'm sure that laptop was talk of the town in the late 1990 era.

Corzhens, Mar 30, 2016
Ask a Question