Monodevelop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by squirreldancer, Feb 11, 2009.

1. squirreldancer

squirreldancer

I have been struggling to install Monodevelop. I managed to install the dependencies and get monodevelop-0.13.1-1.fc7 from the usual repositories.

However, whenever I try to start Monodevelop, I get the error:

Code:
    Error: did not find one of the files in sources//usr/lib/monodoc/sources/monoapi

followed by a whole pile of generally unhappy looking stuff, ending with:

Code:
    =================================================================
    Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
    a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
    used by your application.
    =================================================================
    Anyone else seen this error?

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I'm taking a C# programming course and would really like to show all the other Windows students what a Linpus AAO can do.

squirreldancer, Feb 11, 2009
  2. squirreldancer

mattytee

EDIT: removed unhelpful musings on error. See post below.

mattytee, Feb 12, 2009
  3. squirreldancer

mattytee

Oh wait, here you go. Linpus dependency hell is all.

Google is your friend.

http://www.jamie-jones.co.uk/blog/install-mono-acer-aspire-one.aspx

EDIT:
    OK, maybe -- got to the bottom and he was still having problems.

I reinstate my suggestions of updating mono* and seeing if that works, or moving to OpenSUSE under the assumption that Mr. de Icaza has everything working on that distro.

mattytee, Feb 12, 2009
  4. squirreldancer

squirreldancer

Yes, Google is my friend, but (s)he's being a bit tight-lipped on this issue.

Mostly, I guess, Fedora 8 and Fedora in general is not the best distro to install Monodevelop on.

However, the root of my problem is the absence of Firefox 2. Apparently, FF3 doesn't include some of the libraries used by Monodevelop. (The thing has a boatload of dependencies -- you'd think it would check if the right version, or any version, of Firefox was installed too!).

Foolishly(?), I upgraded to FF3 with Acer's script file, which deleted the necessary FF2 libraries.

I downgraded to FF2, then installed FF3 using the generic Mozilla binaries as macles* describes.

Monodevelop now works, but Monodocs still doesn't and Monodevelop is still pretty unstable, but I'm getting the impression that that is the way it always was in Fedora 8.

Not quite good enough to impress my Windows-loving friends yet, I suppose.

In the meantime, I'm using Geany and an actual textbook to write my C# code (No intellisense, helpfiles or automatic formatting!). However, the course has not yet moved to gui program design and the console-mode programs written on the AAO run quite nicely under Windows -- whooda thunkit???

squirreldancer, Feb 14, 2009
Ask a Question