mono software development on Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by galorin, May 29, 2009.

1. galorin

galorin

I want to start developing c# applications in mono on my Aspire One without removing the Linpus distro (wife would kill me) but the versions of Mono and MonoDevelop are woefully out of date. How can I get the most up-to-date development environment on something based off an ancient version of Fedora?

galorin, May 29, 2009
  2. galorin

shobon

What's the point of developing software if you're only going to use out-of-date versions? You should really consider upgrading.

shobon, May 29, 2009
  3. galorin

galorin

My point exactly. I cannot upgrade Linpus without breaking it and upsetting the wife. I should be able to install an up-to-date development environment without affecting the rest of the system, I just don't know how without obtaining source code from everything mono-related and building it myself. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

galorin, May 29, 2009
  4. galorin

pling

The obvious answer would be a dual boot machine. So obvious that I suspect you must have an 8GB SSD.

You could try running something like Crunchbang or Kuki from a datapen and seeing what happens if you use the package manager.

pling, May 30, 2009
  5. galorin

galorin

Yep, I got an 8 gigger, works well, but space constraints really are a killer. Looks like I will need to do my development on a LiveUSB drive.

galorin, Jun 1, 2009
  6. galorin

cybershrike

Convince her Ubuntu is better! Or put your foot down and say "Woman! I'm getting rid off Linpus...and buying you own AA1" :D

cybershrike, Jun 1, 2009
  7. galorin

galorin

LOL May get my own if I can find the spare cash, they're below £200 at Tesco right now, and that's the HDD XP one.

galorin, Jun 1, 2009
Ask a Question