Modified display driver - to suport 1024x768 and higher

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by romancoins79, Aug 14, 2008.

1. romancoins79

romancoins79

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to increse the resolution to 1024x768 - on asus eee it was done with a moded 945 display driver - and a nice prog. done by lazertag.

The resolution of 768 (or even higher ones) were obtained by scaling down.

Do any of you know for a sotution with AAO?

Thank's,
    Timi

romancoins79, Aug 14, 2008
  2. romancoins79

Darren198712

I wish there will be a driver out but nothing yet so far sadly

Darren

Darren198712, Aug 14, 2008
  3. romancoins79

caydr

What use would it be? For most things you'd want to use a computer for you need to see pixels 1:1, not with some half-assed software scaling. The biggest reason I can see would be for the sake of fitting more on your screen when web browsing, but for that purpose I think Firefox has built-in high-quality scaling. I know Opera does anyway, and I can remember being excited that Firefox would get it too.

caydr, Aug 15, 2008
  4. romancoins79

lotus49

There are two (quite big) problems with this.

Firstly, you would be scaling the vertical axis not the horizontal axis so you would be changing the aspect ratio of everything so nothing would look correctly proportioned.

Secondly, 768/600=1.28, which is not exactly a convenient scaling ratio. Apart from the aspect ratio problem, everything will look fuzzy as well.

My suggestion, if you really need to use 1024x768, is to use a virtual desktop so when you move the mouse to the top or bottom of the screen it scrolls down or up respectively.

lotus49, Aug 16, 2008
  5. romancoins79

romancoins79

Thank's for your replys. The reason for why i am looking for this is a great turned based game wich requires this resolution - Civilization IV (it works only with 1024x768 or more). I know that it distorts the image - i used succesfully this hack on asus eee 701 (for the same game). All went well - even if it was a bit distorted. That's why virtual desktop is not a solution for me. I hope that somebody would make the efort to do the same modding as on the ee forum, only adapted to AAO. Thank's again,

Timi

romancoins79, Aug 16, 2008
  6. romancoins79

rodslinger

I replied on another post but do a search for Astray Plus. It is a utility they use on the EEE and I found it works on my Aspire One also. It will give you 1024x768 and scale it to fit.

rodslinger, Aug 19, 2008
  7. romancoins79

caydr

Civilization IV on an Aspire One? With a 1.6 ghz processor and virtually no GPU to speak of? Are you retarded? That bloated mess of a game slows my desktop system down - 3 ghz core 2 duo, 3 gigs of RAM, 200 gb spare HDD space on a 4x250gb RAID-10 array, and a heavily overclocked 8800 GTS 320. This computer handles Crysis without difficulty, but with that crappy new version of Civ you can barely get to the industrial age before everything goes to hell. Seriously, don't waste your time. Play Civ 3 or maybe Alpha Centauri if TBS is your thing.

caydr, Aug 22, 2008
  8. romancoins79

julyderek

Has anyone managed to run the 1024x768 resolution on the AA1 ? If yes, how ?

They have managed to do that on the EeePC and I need to have the 1024x768 resolution to run certain Windows software on it.

Someone in this thread mentioned that he used the EeePC AsTray+ software sucessfully on the AA1. Has anyone confirmed that ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Derek

julyderek, Aug 28, 2008
  9. romancoins79

Squee22

CIV iv will work but you first need to go into the configuration file My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\civilizationiv.ini and change "fullscreen" to "ask"

now when you launch CIV it will launch in a window, but it will only show the top half of the window. right click on the bar at the top of the window and click "maximize". the window will shrink to the size of your screen. the image is distorted, but you can play the game

Squee22, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question