Mobile Broadband in France -any solutions for AAO150 Linux?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ajarratt, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ajarratt

ajarratt

I'm trying to find a PAYG mobile broadband solution to be used in France. I'm there for a couple of months and need to receive the occasional file attachment by email and very light web browsing, so any contract would work out as expensive given the usage.

Vodafone's PAYG with no time limit on credit looked like a perfect solution but it seems it only works in the UK! In fact the posts I've read all refer to UK use (unless I've missed something:)

I'm using AAO150 ab 120g running Linux Linpus so need a Linux compatible solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Adrian

ajarratt, Apr 15, 2009
  2. ajarratt

TheTilde

Hi
    I don't know about the different prices, but my Orange ICON 225 just worked fine...
    I said "worked" because a liveupdate messed things around and I can suddenly no longer connect.
    So I guess my advice is null //// sorry

:oops:

TheTilde

TheTilde, Apr 28, 2009
  3. ajarratt

ajarratt

Many thanks for your post. I'll look into the Orange ICON 225.
    Adrian

ajarratt, Apr 30, 2009
  4. ajarratt

3ld468

Hello ajarratt,
    I live in the Pyrenees on the border between France and Spain and was attending a local computer group meeting this morning when a question very similar to yours cropped up.
    One of the attendees said that in his experience in France most of the hypermarket chains - Le Clerc, Auchan, Intermarchè, Carrefour, Super-U etc. have free wi-fi hotspots. I cannot personally vouch for this but I do know they all have cafès so maybe a quick cafè au lait at the nearest superstore is all you need to find an internet connection. (You will probably find the best prices for petrol, booze and food as well.)
    To support The Tilde's post I will say that Orange is a French-owned company so it seems likely that they would be a good bet.
    You say that you will only be in France for a couple of months and only want occasional internet access. in that case I would recommend finding a local wi-fi hotspot rather than go through the hassle of dealing with telcos.
    Cheers,
    Mike

3ld468, Apr 30, 2009
  5. ajarratt

ajarratt

Hi Mike
    Many thanks for your post. I didn't know about the supermarket wifi service.
    I'll try the nearest Auchan next week and if they have it in Perigueux I'll be able to report back here!
    Cheers
    Adrian

ajarratt, May 3, 2009
  6. ajarratt

ajarratt

Here's an update after our recent trip.

We found free wifi in Riberac, Dordogne not far from where we stay. It's La Gavotte a cafe/restaurant at the top of the Market square:
    21 Ter PLACE GENERAL DE GAULLE, 24600 RIBERAC
    . Buy a beer or coffee, ask for Wifi, and you will be given the network key with your drink! Nice people - very helpful & friendly.

Another and more widespread solution, possibly...

At a cafe in a small village I tried scanning for networks and hit Neuf wifi - unlocked network. I logged on and appears to be a pay as you go connection - 3 euros for 20 minutes (and other tariffs). Unfortunately it timed out on the payment page!!!!

However, back home I've checked their website and it appears this is available almost anywhere in French towns & villages. Here's their site:
    http://wifi.sfr.fr/autres-clients/wifi-classic/

I'll try it next month and report back - assuming I get connected!

ajarratt, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question