missing desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by janwill, Dec 10, 2010.

1. janwill

janwill

For some reason when I boot up my AAO LInpus the desktop is black with no icons. Only the searchbar and the task bar are shown with the usual icons on he right hand side.

Can I restore my usual Gnome desktop without having to do a system restore?

The machine is running Linpus.

janwill, Dec 10, 2010
  2. janwill

rob1951

Just a "me too". I can use the system - with difficulty if anything other than firefox (that's what the search bar opens). Don't want to use the recovery CD as, not being very familiar with Linux, it took me ages to find, download and install a useful set of additional apps.

One possibly useful comment for anyone in the same boat: from the browser address bar:
    file://c:/ allows you to navigate the hard-disk

Rob

rob1951, Jan 18, 2011
  3. janwill

rob1951

Better still... use the dropdown on the search bar to switch from Internet to Desktop, search for terminal, of the listed results find the one that's executable and click to run.
    At the terminal prompt you can run unix commands to navigate the system.

BUT I still want to know how to get the desktop back... Might the fact that the Desktop directory is empty be significant?

rob1951, Jan 18, 2011
  4. janwill

donec

Sounds like the only part missing is the desktop background.

The Linpus that Acer installed on my AAO ZG5 with the SSD did not have a Gnome desktop or a KDE desktop. It had a special style developed for netbooks. Also the hard drive versions of Linpus I have seen use the same special desktop. So I do not understand what system you have.

donec, Jan 18, 2011
  5. janwill

donec

It would help if the model of the netbook and whether it is hard drive or SSD (solid-state drive) driven given.

donec, Jan 18, 2011
  6. janwill

rob1951

Its Aspire One AOA 150 ZG5 with hard disk, yes it's just the Aspire desktop missing, everyting else seems to work - but with great difficulty finding and starting applications thru using Terminal to navigate file system. I do have an external CD drive so can access the recovery CD - but don't know ehat to look for on there...

rob1951, Jan 20, 2011
  7. janwill

donec

There is no real difference between your ZG5 and mine so I would recommend you to download Linux Mint Live DVD 32-bit The standard version from....
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    The install is very simple, it will allow you to do more with your ZG5, considered the easiest for people switching from Windows, very stable and I believe you will find it much easier to work with since there is almost no need to use the Terminal (I never use the terminal). Do you know how to burn an ISO to a disk to create a Live CD/DVD?

donec, Jan 21, 2011
  8. janwill

gloria

I have the same problem.

How to recover the desktop?

I have an AAO 110 and the OS is Linpus Linux Lite.

gloria, May 11, 2011
  9. janwill

gloria

up

gloria, May 15, 2011
Ask a Question