Mint 8 Vs Windows

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Gary Williams, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Gary Williams

Gary Williams

Hi All,

I have an early AOA110-Ab (ZG5) with the original (slow) 8GB SSD and uprated RAM to 1.49GB. Windows XP SP3 has been installed. It runs but is far too slow so I have two choices, make it go faster or re-install linux.

For my following questions, I have searched the forums but some information contradicts others, so I'm hoping you can help me work out a plan of action.

If I keep Windows:

1. Is there a faster and larger SSD? I once saw an advert but it no longer appears in the google search.
    2. Can I squeeze in a normal HD? I've seen this but for a later version of AOA.

If I re-install Linux

Apart from web browsing and emails, I want to run Skype, VoIPfone, a 3G ZTE MF112 broadband dongle and a Microchip PIC programmer like the PICkit2V2.

On another forum, it was recommended to install Linux Mint 8 as the 3G ZTE MF112 broadband dongle works fine.

If you think the better option is install Linux Mint 8, please point me to a suitable tutorial/post.

Thanks

Gary

Gary Williams, Jun 9, 2011
  2. Gary Williams

ncc123

I just booted Mint 10 LXDE on my AOA ZG5, via a USB stick.
    It boots really fast, and looks like everything works.
    Just use unetbootin to create the USB stick, then select F12 during the boot process and you are off to the races.

ncc123, Jun 9, 2011
Ask a Question