Minimum hard drive/SSD size recommended

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by John Arnold, Apr 14, 2016.

1. John Arnold

John Arnold

Hello
    I wish to purchase a small inexpensive laptop (screen size around 10" or 11") for use when I travel just to check emails, check some web sites and do some work using Garmin Mapsource) so I will probably only install a few applications such as Mozilla Firefox (uses around 112Mb) , Open Office (not sure how much storage space required) and Garmin Mapsource with a map (uses around 2Gb storage space).

The entry level laptops with small screen have just 32GB of storage space.
    Not sure how much space Windows 10 uses (I am using W7 on my desktop PC)).

I need to know if what I want to install will leave a few GB of storage space (I have no idea how much space W10 uses).

Should I forget about 32GB and go for a laptop with 64GB storage space.

Thanks

John

John Arnold, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. John Arnold

Corzhens

I think that 32 GB is not sufficient for an ordinary laptop no matter if your purpose is only for internet. Maybe you can settle for 120 GB at least so you can have ample storage for your photos and videos especially if your laptop has a camera. You never know when you will be needing more storage and the SSD is not cheap, so is the hard disk. But if you can add another SSD perhaps 64GB is quite good and if you need more then get another 32 or 64 depending on your need.

Corzhens, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and spence88 like this.
  3. John Arnold

spence88

Forget 32gb, you're just gonna have a headache maintaining your system space. Even 64gb is not reasonable for the cost. My suggestion is you go for 512gb. It gives the best bang for the buck than any other HDD with lesser space. The medicine you'll buy for the headache that a 32 or 64 HDD caused you will cost you a lot more than a 512gb HDD. JK. Good luck! :)

spence88, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and IcyBC like this.
  4. John Arnold

IcyBC

I am not currently in a market to buy a new computer but in a year or so! My son will be going to college, and will need a new computer (his is 7 years old right now). I am keeping my ears and eyes open and learning as much as I can before the day I have to purchase. This is a good thread to collect information.

IcyBC, Apr 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. John Arnold

IBMPC8088

64gb would be the absolute minimum and smallest size drive I would consider for what you want to do there unless you were using DOS or some other operating system that never wrote temp files to the drive to wear it out. Even on a 32GB drive, the temp files and the bloat of newer programs is going to wear out the drive and use up the space there quickly. On a 64gb drive, even after installing minimalist programs on your OS of choice, you'll still have at least 20 or 30gb to play with and use after temp space and paging file is considered.

These days, SSD drives are getting larger and the price is getting cheaper on them. If you can get a unit with 120gb or 240gb SSD, that would be much better than getting a 64gb for obvious reasons when you factor storage space, new software bloat, and the fact that the more space on a solid state drive you have, the more the data can be evenly distributed between cells and last longer than not.

I would stay away from Windows 10 if you can, not just because it's nearly twice as bloated as Windows 7, but the TOS among other things. You'll be better off with Windows 7 on that traveling system just as you are with 7 on your desktop today.

IBMPC8088, Apr 14, 2016
  6. John Arnold

John Arnold

Thanks for the replies.
    In my post I mentioned that I wanted to purchase an INEXPENSIVE laptop for travelling so it won't be used a lot.

Laptops with more than 64GB DDS (C: drive) storage are far from inexpensive and also those which are easy to increase storage space.
    Most laptops have a SD slot so I am not concerned about storage space for photos etc. Yes I know that SD cards are not very fast but that doesn't concern me.

I was only concerned about storage space for the operating system and a couple of installed programs ie the C: drive.
    My desktop PC has a partition for the C: drive of only 82Gb with 16GB free and I have heaps of installed software on it.

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly that I was wondering how much space for the operating system (W10) plus 2 or 3 installed programs. A salesperson suggested to me that W10 takes around 20GB and I have no idea if he knows what he is talking about.
    Yes I realize that space is also required for the 'swap file'.

I am getting the idea that perhaps I should go for 64GB.

The thing is why are there so many companies making small laptops (11.6" screen) with just 32GB of space for the C: drive?

7. John Arnold

John Arnold

Just checked my wife's desktop PC and it's C: drive (partition) is 78GB with 54Gb free (Windows 7) so only 24GB used and there are a few installed programs.

Once again I am ONLY asking about the capacity of the C: drive for W10 plus maybe 2GB on installed software. I can use an SD card to store documents and images.

8. John Arnold

spence88

Yes, we realize that, but the hard disk drive of a laptop takes a very small percentage of the total price of a laptop. That's why upgrading from 64gb to 512gb will not hurt at all. We're looking 1 step ahead. The OS file size is a given already, and you even answered that already. Unless you're talking about having an SSD. That indeed is a different issue. We are just giving suggestions, but the final decision is still yours to make. Good luck! :)

spence88, Apr 15, 2016
  9. John Arnold

John Arnold

Thanks.
    YES I am 'talking' about (small) laptops with an SSD 'drive'.
    All the SMALL inexpensive laptops with 11.6" screens (Lenovo 100S, HP Stream 11, HP Pavillion) I have seen in shops ONLY have an SSD drive - NO hard drive due to their small internal size.
    Therefore upgrading isn't an option.
    I guess these inexpensive laptops are similar to a tablet as far as inbuilt hardware.

I should have asked the question in a better way.

What I am wanting to know (I guess) is would I regret purchasing a small laptop with a 32GB SSD inbuilt drive compared with a laptop with 64GB SSD inbuilt drive.

I am prepared to use an SD card to store documents and possible images and do NOT need to install applications which consume more than around 2GB of the C: drive.

The salesman at a shop I visited suggested that although W10 initially consumes around 2dGB that with updates etc that will grow to about 28GB leaving almost nothing for anything else - is that true?

John Arnold, Apr 15, 2016
  10. John Arnold

spence88

I see, I see everything makes sense now, still I think IBMPC8088's suggestion still holds. But then again, 32gb is indeed possible if you really want to push the limits, but you're just gonna have a hard time maintaining extra space like I've said.

No worries, we're trying to help each other here! :)

I'm not sure on this one, probably 3-4gb of updates sounds reasonable. The paging file could also take about 5 or more gig.

spence88, Apr 16, 2016
  11. John Arnold

John Arnold

Well I think that I should 'aim' for a minimum SSD drive of 64Gb. 32GB might me a hassle.
    Strange though that nearly all of the small (10.1" and 11.6") laptops only have a 32GB SSD drive. I do prefer this size screen and one with an SSD drive.
    I can put off the purchase for another 4 months so hopefully be then the major laptop producers will have released new models and there will be more with a 64GB SSD drive.

John Arnold, Apr 17, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  12. John Arnold

John Arnold

RESURRECTED!

I just found (by doing it on my desktop PC) that applications CAN be installed on a removable drive. Therefore am I thinking straight that I could leave the 32GB SSD (C:) drive for Windows 10 ALONE and install the 2 or 3 applications I want on an SD card which I would leave plugged into the SD slot.
    YES I know that SD memory isn't as fast.
    YES I realise that a laptop with a 64GB SSD drive is better BUT there are not many 11.6" screen laptops around for under $US300.

Would the 32GB SSD drive then be ok (containing Windows 10 ONLY)?

John Arnold, Apr 20, 2016
  13. John Arnold

spence88

Any updates on this? Have you made your final decision?
    Yes, it can contain the Windows 10 OS. 32gb is more than enough for the OS alone. :)

spence88, Apr 21, 2016
  14. John Arnold

John Arnold

No final decision made yet. As my next trip isn't until September I will wait another 3-4 months hoping that the manufacturers release their new models by then and that more will have a 64GB SSD.

I am getting the idea that if I install the 3 or 4 applications I want on an SD card then the 32GB should work ok.
    I have also found out about Compact OS which will save around 2.5GB storage space by compacting the OS BUT there are issues with Windows updates not being compressed (and therefore the OS needs to be uncompressed before applying updates - is that correct?)

John Arnold, Apr 21, 2016
Ask a Question