Migrating an XP install onto an A150

Discussion in 'Windows' started by linguinee, Sep 27, 2008.

1. linguinee

linguinee

Ok, I've just bought in and an A150 (120GB w/XP) is enroute. I'm a Mac devotee but the A150's price is right and the glowing reviews sealed the deal.

I've XP Pro (w SP 2) installed on a MacBook Pro, along with a suite of apps and I definitely don't want the aggravation of manually re-installing and configuring everything onto the A150. Here's my plan: a) Using my installed version of Norton Ghost, clone my XP install onto an external USB drive; b) boot the A150 via the XP USB drive; and c) using Ghost again, clone the contents of the USB Drive onto the A150 HDD. Sounds simple enough. Is it?

Again, I'm a Mac guy and am unfamiliar with the specifics of Windows systems' boot processes, especially from external drives. I'm leery that the different processors (Core Duo --> Atom) require specific install configs and that merely shuttling files from machine to the other may overlook an element vital to the A150's operating system, one that is available only by a fresh XP install.

Is this approach recommended or is there an easier way to accomplish my goal? (I've also an USB external DVD RW should a better method require it). Also an URL to a tutorial on booting XP from USB drives would be appreciated.

Thank you
    linguinee

linguinee, Sep 27, 2008
  2. linguinee

SNOboy

there is an app in xp called files and settings transfer wizard which should make it a much simpler process. doing it your way i am sure will work but then you will have the task of installing and updating the drivers on your ONE. hope this helps! SNO

SNOboy, Sep 27, 2008
  3. linguinee

goofball

it's not recommended to transplant xp installations when there are that many hardware differences (chipset is the main one). That's like asking bill gates to perform heart/brain transplant surgery!
    I'm not saying it wouldn't work but you should probably consider doing a fresh install, then install your applications like you have now, but here are the things that I do to keep my customizations:

1. Go to HKEY_Local_machine/software/microsoft/windowsnt/currentversion/profiles, find your user profile (look on the right for your user folder), and export it to a reg file
    2. Copy your whole user folder from C:\documents and settings to a usb key or some other form of removable media. You can copy all users as well, some settings are hidden there also
    3. Install XP fresh on new system, and applications.
    4. copy your user folder back onto the system, and create the same user with same username (do this before logging in). Give your user permission to this folder (Properties -> Security), they will need modify rights.
    5. Import the registry key that you did in step 2.
    6. Reboot and login with the username created. It should be pretty close to what you had before.

Now, I dont' know if the file/settings transfer wizard does the exact same thing 100% so I do it this way.

goofball, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question