Microsoft's New App Can Identify the Breed of a Dog From Its Photo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Remember Microsoft's funny website that could almost accurately guess your age? Well, the Redmond, Washington-based company is at it again. It has released an app called Fetch! which utilises facial recognition and artificial intelligence to recognise your dog's breed. It is available for Web users as well on what-dog.net.

Microsoft on Thursday announced the release of Fetch! for iPhone users. The app allows users to take a picture of a dog you see (or use one from your photos library) and identify its breed. But wait, there's more.

"There was an interest in creating a framework that would allow you to take a domain - in our case, dogs - and recognise numerous classes, such as breeds. We were interested in enabling an app to allow you to make object recognition extraordinary, fun and surprising," says Mitch Goldberg, a development director at Microsoft Research whose Cambridge, U.K based team built the experience.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/m...tify-the-breed-of-a-dog-from-its-photo-801484

Sefie, Feb 14, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Just watch, someone is going to try to go after Microsoft and sue them for getting their dog wrong if they try to take a picture of a Sony Aibo. "They said my breed of dog was a toaster!" lol

It's likely not going to be cut and dry to verify a dog with facial recognition, or fur recognition in this case. If the dog is a cross-breed, there's lots of room for false-positives and misread features for dog breeds. It will be interesting to see if they can still identify them at all when people dress up their dogs with sweaters, leggins, and during Shark Week or Halloween.

IBMPC8088, Feb 15, 2016
    IcyBC and Sefie like this.
  3. Sefie

Sefie

@IBMPC8088 Hahahahah, tell me about it. Their other site that tell you how old you look in x picture and so on. It was so funny that every time I uploaded a picture of my fiance the software always ended up guessing he was 45+ xD One time it even suggested he was a woman xD He is only 32, almost 33. So yes, this is going to be entertaining ;)

Sefie, Feb 15, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

Ooh..I will have to get this app on my iPhone to find out what breed my dog is since even my vet isn't sure about him. And if the app guessing wrong or something I don't like, I will follow @IBMPC8088 suggestion, and be the first one to sue Microsoft :) LOL

IcyBC, Feb 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
Ask a Question