messenger window closing down

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by davepebs, Dec 18, 2008.

1. davepebs

davepebs

Hi, could someone please explain why when i open messenger, the messenger window closes down and opens about every 6 seconds, this is the second netbook i have got in 2 days as the exact same problem occured on the first one.

dave

davepebs, Dec 18, 2008
  2. davepebs

Zammo

I have the same problem. It's impossible to use.

Zammo, Dec 18, 2008
  3. davepebs

daldred

It's not happned to me; let's try some diagnostic stuff.

First, are your systems completely updated using Live Update? There ahve certainly been updates to Messenger over the months I've had my AAO.

Second, what is the output if you run Messenger from a terminal? Error messages should be logged back to the terminal; if you can copy and paste in the errors logged immediately before the program closes itself, we can try to see what's going on.

daldred, Dec 18, 2008
  4. davepebs

davepebs

hi, i have live updated both machines to the point where it says "no more updates available" but still get the same response from messenger. i returned the first unit and get the same problem on the new unit. As for terminals and error messages i am completely new to linux and havnt a clue what you mean about this. be grateful if you could explain how i can view error msgs

Thanks in advance Dave

davepebs, Dec 18, 2008
  5. davepebs

daldred

Ok, first you need a terminal. This post:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28#p158
    tells you how to enable 'advanced' mode - the first step there involves getting a terminal up. I'd recommend doing the rest of it and getting advanced mode going: it gives you much more flexibility.

Once you have the terminal (either by just doing the first bit of that post, or by getting advanced mode going then selecting 'terminal' from the right-click menu), in the terminal type
    Code:
    UIM
    Note that the capitals are required - in Linux commands are case sensitive. As it starts, messenger will pass any error or other messages to the terminal: you should get the usual graphical interface of Messenger, with messages coming up in the terminal at the same time.

Once it crashes, go back to your Terminal window, highlight all the error messages with the mouse, do 'edit->copy' from the menu, and then paste the result into a message here.

daldred, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question