Memory = Speed?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jonasohrn, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jonasohrn

jonasohrn

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix on a AAO A110 with 8 Gb sshd .I think it is quite slow. I have only original 512 Mb ram. Will it increase speed much if I expand to 1536 Mb Ram?

jonasohrn, Jan 22, 2010
  2. jonasohrn

melhiore

Yes.

Build-in SSD is rather slow - that's for sure. Adding up some RAM will increase overall system performance.

melhiore, Jan 22, 2010
  3. jonasohrn

Xinês

After adding memory, consider removing swap partition to get more performance.

Xinês, Jan 23, 2010
  4. jonasohrn

Andysan

IMHO this configuration of AAO is slow because it runs out of memory quickly and then stalls writing to the slow SSD. More RAM should hopefully cure this problem.

Andysan, Jan 23, 2010
  5. jonasohrn

Ceno

I have a model like yours. The 8gb SSD is horribly slow, specially writing. There isn't much tweaking you can do to overcome this. Adding RAM will also not solve the problem. It will however allow you to get rid of swap, multitask freely and run heavy applications without having to worry about memory. Considering you add 1 GB, it's very cheap.
    The only thing you can do is replace the SSD or run the operating from and sd card or usb pen disk,

Ceno, Jan 30, 2010
Ask a Question