Memory Speed slower than HP/Compaq Mini 110?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by snofrandy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. snofrandy

snofrandy

I have a D250. Has anyone noticed if the Memory transfer speed is slower than other computers? I purchased the OCZ PC2-6400 2x2GB for $55 AR. I plugged it in the two netbooks in my house, my sister's Compaq Mini 110 and my Acer D250. I ran memtest86+ v2.21 (both netbooks use same version of memtest) and noticed that the transfer rate for the two netbooks are different. The Mini 110 is 1813MB/Sec and the D250 is 1694MB/Sec. Now I know that the BIOS naturally underclocks the ram to 221MHz, and is reflected in both netbooks. Also, i noticed that the L2 cache is a little slower in the D250 at 3669MB/sec compared to Mini's 3711MB/sec.

Just to be sure that it is not the RAM that's the problem, after doing a full test w/ no failures, I swapped the RAMs, and ended up with the same exact value with the D250 slower.

Any explanations?

snofrandy, Dec 22, 2009
  2. snofrandy

snofrandy

wow...no one knows?

snofrandy, Dec 23, 2009
  3. snofrandy

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

To be fair, you only posted last night so give it a bit of time and people may answer.

First thing I would check is that the systems are running the memory at the same speed.
    Go into the BIOS and check that the D250 hasn't downgraded the RAM to 400MHz for some bizarre reason as the Acer spec sheet states 400/533/667 for the Intel 945GSE where as the Mini 110 only states 553Mhz.

Also it may have to do with the graphics card using a portion of the RAM for it's own use and slowing down the bandwidth for remaining programs.

Or it could just be down to the actual layout of the board being not as optimal as the Mini 110.

Personally I would check the BIOS first and make sure that the RAM is actually being used at the same speeds. But you may find that the Mini 110 is just quicker with its RAM than the AAO.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Dec 23, 2009
Ask a Question