Meego

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Frits, May 28, 2010.

1. Frits

Frits

Cuurently having Meego on the zg5, works good!!!
    Everything working except the left sd reader....
    Skype installed,etc etc..
    So, altough it is offical an developersversion, ootb it works good.

Frits, May 28, 2010
  2. Frits

Frits

Ok, skypes crashes, filed a bug report. Left sd card reader works when it is inserted at reboot.
    Battery holds on for 2,5 hour, including wifi on and sound playing.
    Not bad.

Frits, May 29, 2010
  3. Frits

jango

No more feedback??
    I am want to now if its a good OS for 110L? Is faster then 10.04 UNR?

Thanks

jango, Jun 27, 2010
  4. Frits

Joeb

Meego will probably be a good OS, but even the Meego site refers to 1.0 as being a developers version. It is the first release after absorbing Moblin. They just release an update called 1.1 that fixes a lot of things. Another interesting one is Jolicloud. The 1.0 version has a totally revamped interface. To install the new 1.0, you have to first install the 0.9, then upgrade (there is no 1.0 iso yet). The 0.9 has the original UNR interface. Again, Meego is under heavy development, so things that are currently not working, will more than likely be fixed soon. It's too bad that they chose a 1.0 release for what in reality is a developers release.

Joeb, Jul 24, 2010
  5. Frits

Grim Squeaker

Tried Meego on my One (the original 8GB, 512 MB specimen)

I quite like parts of the interface - especially the tasks and appointments opening screen. And the lack of a shutdown button. Makes perfect sense - if I want to shut down, I should press the on/off button on my keyboard :p

In general it is faster than Ubuntu, but it sometimes takes it time loading the browser.
    It also assumes you do not wish to close applications but want to keep them running in multitasking ways - which with the low amount of memory my One has is a bad idea.

However, the downside: it is obviously less polished than UNR. It does not include office software by default for instance - and trying to install that brings back memories of Linpus. Manual downloads, terminal commands to install the package and noting that it does not integrate in the interface perfectly by default, for which you then need to manually correct stuff. Playing mp3s out of the box ? Nope - need to install the codecs manually first - and contrary to Ubuntu there is no easy package in the repository for that.
    In fact, the repository they offer is practically empty.

So it has potential, but is not there yet. Unless you adored tinkering with Linpus of course - in that case recommend installing it right away. You'd have a more modern basesystem, a cute interface that will turn some heads and all the tinkering fun you love so much ;)

Hmmm. Let us try Jolicloud now.

Grim Squeaker, Jul 25, 2010
Ask a Question