Maximum RAM on this system?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by NoTime, Jan 26, 2011.

1. NoTime

NoTime

I own an acer aspire one AOA150-1006 and i've watched several videos on youtube and read alot of articles on sites telling me that the maximum RAM memory that can be inserted into this system is 1536MB?

The thing is MOST of these statements came from users with this netbook but they have a 512MB stick of RAM already in their system which is non removable.

My system has a non removable 1GB DDR2 stick of RAM and I'm not sure what the maximum size of RAM is on my system because it is different to others, is it possible for me to buy another 1GB RAM stick and put it into my system or will it have to be a 512MB?

If anyone has anything related to this subject that can help me out or if you have the same system as me and you have upgraded your RAM please post, cheers

P.S. If I do add a total of 2GB RAM on my system what would happen, by this I mean would their be any drawbacks and would my netbook still work?

Thanks

NoTime, Jan 26, 2011
  2. NoTime

DutchDK

Your system has a removable 512 MB memory module, and 512 MB memory soldered on to the motherboard.

By exchanging your removable memory module with a 1 GB memory module, you will reach the limit on your system, which is 1.5 GB.

The chipset on your AOA150 can adress 2 GB as the maximum, but since you can not disable the 512 MB memory soldered on to the motherboard, you can not put a 2 GB module into the ram slot. You can put in a 1 GB module, making the total amount available 1.5 GB.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Jan 26, 2011
  3. NoTime

NoTime

Ok thanks but how do you know that I don't have a 1GB stick soldered on? And what would happen if I put like a 2gb ram in the system?

NoTime, Jan 26, 2011
  4. NoTime

donec

I don't have a AOA150-1006. However! I have researched your AOA150-1006 and according to Crucial.com the memory upgrade company (in the business of providing memory upgrades) they sale DDR2 RAM memory cards for your AOA150-1006 for $19.99. I don't know if your memory card slot is accessable like the ZG5 or the D150-1920.

I do have 3 different AAO's a D250-1610 and a D150-1920 both of these machines have been upgraded to 2Gb RAM by replacing the RAM that came in the 1 memory card slot with a 2Gb memory card. For testing I tried booting the D150-1920 with the memory card removed and the power light came on and the screen remained black. This says there is no RAM other than the RAM memory slot that is accessed via the small panel on the bottom of the case.

The ZG5/AOA110-1722. has 512Mb memory soldered to the motherboard and one RAM memory card slot. To acess the memory card slot you must open the case completely and the best video I have found for this is....

Hope this helps.

As far as what would happen if you put 2Gb RAM in your computer is that your bios would not recognize the memory properly and most likely not boot. However! it is possible it could just ignore the extra memory (rare) and use what it does recognize. I have never heard any reports that said putting in the wrong memory has caused any damage to the computer but I have heard that in some cases the RAM was damaged.

Edited to correct erroneous information sorry.

donec, Jan 26, 2011
  5. NoTime

DutchDK

Because you have a Aspire One A150.

The A110 and A150 is basically the same hardware. The difference is that the A110 doesn't have a SATA plug, but a ZIF IDE plug, while the A150 doesn't have a ZIF IDE plug, but a SATA plug on the motherboard. Otherwise they are exactly the same hardware. That means you have 512 MB (4 memory chips) memory soldered on to the motherboard, and one SO-DIMM slot.

Since you have 1 GB of total ram, you have a 512 MB SO-DIMM module present in the slot, plus the 512 MB ram that is soldered onto the motherboard.

If you put in a 2 GB SO-DIMM module your A150 will not boot, since you are above the amount of memory that the chipset will recognise.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Jan 27, 2011
  6. NoTime

NoTime

Ok thanks guys, much apreciated I'll purchase myself a 512MB RAM for my system, just one more thing does this RAM need to be certain model/code or the same as my current RAM or as long as it says it is compatible with my A0A150 is this fine?

NoTime, Jan 27, 2011
  7. NoTime

DutchDK

If you purchase a 512 MB SO-DIMM module you will still end up with 1 GB total. You allready have a 512 MB SO-DIMM module in the memory slot, and 512 MB soldered on the motherboard.

You need to buy a 1 GB SO-DIMM module, and exchange the 512 MB SO-DIMM module in the slot underneath the motherboard.
    That way you reach the maximal 1.5 GB RAM that you can install on a Aspire One A110 or A150 (The ZG5 series).

You need a DDR2-PC5200 SO-DIMM module. Check the thread in the RAM/Memory part of the hardware section, regarding ram compatibility for A110 and A150 models.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Jan 27, 2011
  8. NoTime

NoTime

Oh yeah i meant 1GB, thanks guys, il purchase the RAM and let you know how it goes, has anyone upgraded the RAM and if so has it affected your system alot?

NoTime, Jan 30, 2011
Ask a Question