Max resolution confusion

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by elPaulio, Sep 12, 2010.

1. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

We all know that our netbooks can only display 1024x600 resolution but I am a touch confused why.

I can set my external monitor to any resolution (within reason) and I always assumed that it was then a limitation of the display panel that meant you couldn't go above 1024x600...but... I've just done a remote desktop into my other PC which runs at 1680x1050 and I can "stretch" the screen to fit fine.

So, why can't we natively set our netbooks to run at a higher resolution??

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Sep 12, 2010
  2. elPaulio

melhiore

You already answered your own question...

AA1 display is 1024x600 dots therefore is not able to display more pixels then you actually have available. What you have seen in your virtual connection is emulation. Similar trick you use when stretching AA1 display to show 1024x768 to "fully" display images in some games...

melhiore, Sep 12, 2010
  3. elPaulio

elPaulio Moderator

Hi Melhiore,

But I thought when you emulated larger resolutions on and lcd screen you simply got scroll bars rather than a shrunken version of the resolution you are trying to view?!?!?

Paul :geek:

elPaulio, Sep 12, 2010
  4. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Depends on how the driver handles the resolution. Personally I think it's still a driver issue with many thanks to intel. I was poking around the other day, and the EDID data is there in the monitor for higher resolutions. Even Ubuntu 10.04 (when I was bleeding from the eyes trying it) detected the ability to run higher resolutions, but for some stupid reason couldn't make them stick.

Right now under Windows 7 my D250 is running at 1152x864 with the display scailing reg tweak. I'm still trying to figure the rest out, but I googled Intel Graphics Custom Resolutions (or something along those lines the other day) and you can tweak the drivers INF file to install custom resolutions, but you need to decypher it from the raw EDID data that you can obtain from the display panel.

My belief is that either the Intel Drivers are screwy or the monitors EDID data is wrong.

Swarvey, Sep 12, 2010
  5. elPaulio

Swarvey Moderator

Not true. The only limitation on display resolution is that set by the monitor you're connecting to. The monitor reports to the graphics chip (and eventually it's drivers) as to the maximum resolution that can be displayed by the display panel. LCD/Plasma TV's allow very high resolutions and report it to the graphics chip as such. This is why I can plug my D250 into my Viewsonic projector and watch movies in much higher resolutions. However the higher you go with resolution, the more power you need. Some AAO graphics chips just aren't up to the task of utilizing higher resolutions.

Swarvey, Oct 22, 2010
  6. elPaulio

kairijuno

I have no problem setting my aspire one ZG5 to 1920x960, I have to scroll the display simply by moving my cursor to the edges to make it scroll, now I can't do that with AOHappy, the display quality is better on the aspire one ZG5, AOHappy seems like have more sparse pixel density, good side is more core and ddr3 and its 3150. Maybe it is just me, but the AOHappy screen feels "not right" compared to the original aspireone ZG5, oh mine is Pinky :D lol

kairijuno, Feb 19, 2011
Ask a Question