Mandriva or SuSE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by starbright, Nov 15, 2008.

1. starbright

starbright

I like the Mandriva Linux . They do have a new version out now. Does someone has tried to install this? What are the results?
    If this is not working - how about SuSE?

starbright, Nov 15, 2008
  2. starbright

Tamrac

There are already threads about Mandriva 2009.... please use the search function. To briefly answer your question, YES Mandriva 2009 works very well on the AAO. Requires the least tweaks among the distros to get everything working. Cheers.

Tamrac, Nov 15, 2008
  3. starbright

scubajim

I'm posting this reply on an AAO running Mandriva 2009. The distro has had updates so should now just work on the AAO. I'm very happy with it.

I'm even daft enough to be running KDE4! :shock: I'd recommend Gnome though....

scubajim, Nov 15, 2008
  4. starbright

starbright

For years I'm a KDE user. But if I understood you right, it's more demanding? Is that the reason you recommend Gnome?

starbright, Nov 15, 2008
  5. starbright

feed_sparky

The openSuSE 11.1 live cd has wireless support, but it would not let me install using the live installer. I kept getting a y2base error, maybe when the final 11.1 release comes out it'll work just fine. Mandriva does work ok, right now i'm using ubuntu with the n270 custom kernel and everything works but sound from internal speakers on resume (still works from headphones though).

feed_sparky, Nov 16, 2008
  6. starbright

scubajim

Starbright,

If you're using KDE4 already then I'd say go ahead and run it on the AAO. However, KDE4 (as shipped in Mandriva 2009) is quite heavy when compared with Gnome.

It is usable but I think Gnome would be faster.

Your best bet is to try it out!

scubajim, Nov 16, 2008
  7. starbright

RockDoctor

@ scubajim:
    Haven't tried KDE4.1, but it was always my impression that the KDE stuff was about equal in weight to the GNOME stuff. Both Fedora/KDE and Kubuntu seem to require some GNOME functionality, whereas I haven't seen anything in the GNOME versions (except hplip-gui) that requires Qt

RockDoctor, Nov 16, 2008
  8. starbright

starbright

Mandriva really looks great. But until now I don't have Wireless and Suspend.
    I don't thing this is slow.

starbright, Nov 17, 2008
  9. starbright

thunderboad

I'm using opensuse 11.0, with my AA0, i have to do tweaks to install my wireless and the SD card. Except for the function keys, everything seems to be running well, including the suspend mode that i was unable to make it work in Kubuntu 8.10. I'm using KDE 4.1 and i have about 2:30 h of battery life.
    feed_sparky, i don't know about opensuse 11.1, but a menage to use the live install of 11.0 as this tutorial.
    http://lizards.opensuse.org/2008/05/31/ ... stest-way/

thunderboad, Nov 22, 2008
  10. starbright

starbright

I installed Mandriva One 2009 today. Result was great. KDE looks nice, doesn't feel slow.
    Suspend, Sound, WLAN works just out of the box - no tweaks necessary (AAO150L).

But couldn't adjust the LCD brightness. Someone any idea for that?

Didn't test the cam until now. (Do not know how, which application is useful for that).

starbright, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question