Mail account verification problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Chycky, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Chycky

Chycky

I try to set up a mail account on my new AA1 but the wizard complains that there is a verification problem. I'm rather sure that all my information is correct. I also use the inoformation on my stationary computer and I have no problem connecting to my mail using that computer. Why does AA1's mail client have verification problem when I try to set up an account?

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Chycky

daldred

No idea, on that vague a question. It works for most people, so it's not a general problem.

What OS, what mail provider, what are the settings on both your desktop machine and the AA1 (obviously leaving out your username and password)? Server, port, type of security on connections etc?

daldred, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Chycky

Chycky

Well, I use Linpus Lite (original version) and standard mail client on my AA1 and Ubuntu and Evolution on my desktop computer.

My settings are POP3 and pop.bredband.net for incomming mailserver and SMTP smtp.bredband.net for outgoing mailserver. Then I have a password and a username. There is no problem connecting using Thunderbird or Evolution on my desktop computer with the information above, but when I try to cennect on my AA1 and the standard mail client on Linpus Lite, then the wizard say there is a verification problem. I use port 110 for incomming mail (POP3) and 25 for outgoing (SMTP), but when I check SSL option then incomming port changes to 995 (POP3) and outgoing port stays the same. It doesn't matter if I check the SSL option or not, the mail client isn't able to connect anyway. The only difference is that the port for incomming mail stay at 110 instead of 995 if I uncheck SSL. Did this information make the problem clear?

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Chycky

daldred

Hmm; that may help!

Can you point me to any webpage from your ISP which quotes the settings you should use? I can't find anything, but then that's probably because I don't speak the right language!

daldred, Oct 1, 2008
  5. Chycky

Chycky

There are several guides at my ISP's homepage:

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/wps/port ... ice/guider

This guide for example shows how to set up an account using Thunderbird. The guide is in Swedish, but the settings are the same also in English (pdf-file):

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se/portal/w ... ozilla.pdf

It's really annoying that I cannot connect to my mail using AA1 mail client!

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
  6. Chycky

daldred

OK, that looks like a straight setup with no secure protocol - so port 110 should work: no idea why it doesn't, and diagnostics are likley to get complicated!

Would it not be worth installing Thunderbird on the One? It's a far better mail client anyway, and as I recall it's in the add/remove software list.

daldred, Oct 1, 2008
  7. Chycky

Chycky

Maybe, but why is the standard client so bad? It's strange that it doesn't work, but I may try Thunderbird instead.

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
  8. Chycky

daldred

Dunno; I didn't write it!

OTOH it worked on all my POP email accounts; I changed to Thunderbird in order to integrate a calendar application (Lightning) which would work properly with a Google calendar and cope well with IMAP.

daldred, Oct 1, 2008
  9. Chycky

Chycky

Well, it doesn't matter any longer. I use Thunderbird and it works well with the settings that didn't work with the standard mail client in AA1. It's still a interesting question why AA1 standard mail client didn't work out as expected. I'm absolutely sure it isn't the wrong settings I use, because the settings work with Evolution and Thunderbird.

Chycky, Oct 1, 2008
Ask a Question