Low cost suggestions

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Oakat, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Oakat

Oakat

Hey, I'm looking for a cheap laptop to replace my most recent one, an HP Elitebook from 2008. I'm not interested in having something capable of playing modern video games. The most I'd want from it is the ability to edit video at 1080p and not take a week to render. It doesn't have to be the sleakiest machine with the most efficient power consumption either. Heck, I don't even need it to have a great battery life. My only other requirements are that it runs Windows (Chromebook isn't an option) and can accept a HDD internally. I'd greatly prefer a model with an optical drive as well, but Blu-Ray support isn't needed.

Oh, I almost forgot the real kicker: it needs to be low cost in Canada. Our major electronics retailers include Amazon.ca, Best Buy.ca and The Source.

Thanks in advance!

Oakat, Jul 1, 2016
  2. Oakat

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Hi, fellow ex - HP Elite book user
    the Elite Book 6930p in my case...

My new laptop had only displaced it, not replaced it...
    Interchangeable (alternate) Battery/ DVD/ Hard Drive plus the ability to swap out the HDD for a different one within 1 minute...

Oh it will be a L-O-N-G time until my Elite book goes to a new user, but...

Where my new one has a 7 hour battery and weighs around 1,5 Kg....
    there will be no more long distance journeys carrying a 5 Kg monster AND a wheeled trolley for spare batteries & etc.,

The new one slides effortlessly into my back pack, leaving plenty of room for a weekends worth of spare clothes.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Jul 3, 2016
  3. Oakat

Oakat

The 6930 is actually the same model I have. Unfortunately, it seems like the mobo might be dead, so I don't have a tonne of choice in keeping it around.

Oakat, Jul 4, 2016
  4. Oakat

Corzhens

I am also a user of HP Elite for more than 2 years. When this laptop was given to me by the office, my husband had tested it by installing a video editor (Adobe Premiere). He said it seemed okay because it can edit the video and rendering takes not really too long. But I had to uninstall the software because this laptop is an official issue for me and I am not allowed to install any software without clearance from our tech group.

Corzhens, Jul 4, 2016
  5. Oakat

author33

I think HP Business 15 Touchscreen Laptop may suitable with you!

author33, Jul 7, 2016
  6. Oakat

cluckeyo

Keep an eye on Brad's Deals. I just got mine through there. It is a brand new HP 15,6 - quad core - long life battery. You can build them to specs. Mine was a little over $300. I really like it!! That offer might still be on the HP site, don't know.

cluckeyo, Jul 10, 2016
Ask a Question