Lotus Notes or email

Discussion in 'Networking' started by markspark, Nov 18, 2008.

1. markspark

markspark

hi

I'm looking at buying one of these, has anyone tried running Lotus Notes on it - ie does it work? Under Linux, or Windows only?

Or - I hear the Aspire email will download Notes email - anyone done this? Does it work & synch well? We have a corporate system (no POP or IMAP access) so just wondering.

thanks in advance

markspark, Nov 18, 2008
  2. markspark

DragonC

As a Notes Developer of some 15+ years, this was the first thing I installed.

The Linux version works, but because of the locked down default screen it takes a bit of tweaking to get it to appear so you can run it. However there is an easier way. Simply install Wine, then make a USB drive with Notes Nomad (version 8+). All you need to do is plug the USB drive in, Autorun kicks in and you are prompted with whether you want to run the advertised application. Say Yes, and you can now have the windows verion of Notes up and running. And for people like me, simply copy designer.exe and admin.exe over into the application directory and you now have full access to everything you need.

I use the Windows client/designer/admin and the Linux server on my machine. It's not the fastest of beasties considering the limitations of the AAO. But it does mean I have the ability to work anywhere without lugging around my heavy laptop.

Notes has always been flexible in what platforms you run it on - Max, Lunix, Windows, Web (Java). A word of warning though. Notes databases do take up a bit of disk space. OK a LOT of disk space. If (like me) you use the 8g SSD machine then definitely consider using a decent sized USB or add an extra SD in the slot.

DragonC, Nov 19, 2008
  3. markspark

stocko

I have the Notes 8.5b2 linux version running quite happily on my AA1. Everything works fine. I travel with this unit and run all the demonstrations of my Notes Software at customers sites either plugged into a projector or I borrow one of their screens.

I just installed the RPM and away we went. No tweaking of the system required at all. Replication works well. I have installed the programs on the 8GB SSD and the Notes Data Directory on a 16GB card.

Whilst I could get Nomad happening under Wine - for some strange reason it kept crashing all the time to the point of being frustrating. yet other people have this running quite successfully.

As DragonC siad the only thing that I can't run are Notes Admin and Designer.

stocko, Nov 20, 2008
Ask a Question