Loses WiFi under heavy load

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mergedown, May 25, 2009.

1. mergedown

mergedown

I have 2 Acer Aspire One model ZG5. Both have had the standard Wifi issues. I removed XP and installed Vista on the both. I have recently upgraded the Atheros AR5007EG drivers to 7.6.1.221 and installed the Atheros Client Utility to manage the connection.

It connects fine and works great under standard browsing. As soon as I do something that requires a bit of a load on the connection, I lose my connection and have to disconnect/reconnect for it to return. Example, if my son tries to play on Runescape, it will lose its connection in under a minute, I can almost time it. But just surfing around the net it works fine.

This laptop is amazing, with the exception of this issue. Without replacing the WiFi card, is there an additional fix? Are there more current drivers, or different drivers?

Thanks!

mergedown, May 25, 2009
  2. mergedown

mergedown

K, I just posted this as a reply in another post, but I wanted to reply to my own.

I've spent all day trying to get this figured out. Drivers, AUC, Power save, QoS, remote differential compression, etc.

After realizing that the driver I was using wasn't the latest version for Vista (I was using 7.7.0.232, which is latest XP version). I finally landed on what seems to be a solid configuration for me.

Driver version 7.6.1.204, which is the latest Vista driver.
    Uninstalled Atheros Utility Client.
    There is no power save option with this driver.
    Left QoS Packet Scheduler at its default.
    Turned off remote differential compression

As of now, all seems to be working REALLY well. No dropped connections, even under heavy transfers. These are great little machines, hopefully this configuration does it!!

mergedown, May 25, 2009
Ask a Question