Looking to upgrade my 8 year old 17" Dell Studio 1737

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by KPSUK1, Apr 7, 2017.

1. KPSUK1

KPSUK1

Well it's served me well (and still works for 90% of the things I need) but Windows 10 is a little tough on it, the graphics card does this strange thing where the screen goes blocky (I have to 'wipe' a window over it to refresh and clean up the picture) gaming is a distance memory and now one of the hinges has snapped, so the screen/cover is held on by just the one hinge.
    So I'm pretty much sure it's only a matter of time before that snaps and then it's a dead duck.

I really haven't kept to up date with the latest CPU, GPU,RAM or HDD technology, so just did a quick refresh of what's out there.
    Intel's naming convention seem deliberately impossible to decipher, but I think I've got the basics. SSD seems pretty essential for significant performance improvements and Nvidia still seem to lead the GFX race.

I'm looking to replace the dying Dell with a sub £1000 machine which can be used to basic day-to-day work, some web development and hopefully get back into some gaming.One thing I did like about the Dell was it's impressive 17" screen (which was rare for it's time) so looking for something like that too.

Looking around, I've seen a few machines from HP, lenovo, Asus, Gigabyte etc, but the one that catches my eye the most is the: MSI GP62 Leopard Pro i7 NVIDIA 960M 17"

Some basic stats:
    O/S: Win 10
    CPU: i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz
    RAM: 4GB DDR4
    Disk: 126GB SSD & 1TB HDD
    Gfx: GeFprce GTX 960M 2GB
    Scr: 17.3"
    Price: £886.92

Just wondering on peoples thoughts on this machine and if any alternatives are out there for a similar price or upgrades worth considering (for a reasonable price)

Cheers

K

KPSUK1, Apr 7, 2017
  2. KPSUK1

something back

something back, Apr 9, 2017
  3. KPSUK1

KPSUK1

Cheers for that. That's pretty good spec too, but it's a 15" rather than 17" screen (not a deal breaker but nice to have) and doesn't seem to have a SSD which I believe are about 40% faster than HDD.

KPSUK1, Apr 11, 2017
  4. KPSUK1

something back

Yes the 15” will be lighter to carry,it's another choice though.

You can always update the ssd later they start at approx £55 for a 240gb.

You may want to remove the 1 TB hard drive and replace it with a ssd drive
    later another option?.

Looking at the internet it's no longer being made.

In order for you to do a cpu comparison see this site.

www.passmark.com

something back, Apr 11, 2017
  5. KPSUK1

something back

URGENT NOTICE JUST SEEN THIS OFFER
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/msi...-save-100-w-free-steelseries-v3-mouse-2662382

something back, Apr 12, 2017
Ask a Question