Looking to buy a pre-owned laptop. Can I get some recommendations for decent brands or models?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by nicky.b, Aug 13, 2016.

1. nicky.b

nicky.b

I plan on buying pre-owned from a pawnshop or craigslist as I'm on a tight budget. I don't need anything fancy, I'm just hoping for a quick little laptop that is capable of simple gaming, like Don't Starve Together, civilization, pillars of eternity and the like. Though the most important part is battery life. It doesn't need to be anything amazing but I'll be using this around campus and in stores where I hope I don't have to fight for a power plug.

Do you have any brands, makes or models that you know fit the bill or I should keep an eye out for? Or even ones I should keep an eye out to avoid? I don't know much about laptops, I've really only been into PCs.

Any help is welcomed! Thanks so much everyone!

nicky.b, Aug 13, 2016
  2. nicky.b

fcuco

You mentioned gaming so probably an used MacBook is out of the question.

The brand or model are not as important as the general condition of the machine itself, it all comes down to how well was the laptop treated by the previous owner.

If you are buying online make sure that they are selling it with the power adapter, otherwise this could signal a stolen machine.

Bring your own CD to test the optical drive before buying, you probably need this if you want to install games, while you are at it, bring your own headphones so you can test the audio jack. Use a website like gadget value to determine the current market value of the model listed.

Strick to known brands if you are worried about quality, but bear in mind that even the most prestigious brands had a few very bad models and blunders.

fcuco, Aug 13, 2016
  3. nicky.b

ashley0323

I would look into the Acer Asprire series. I bought mine preowned on ebay and its fantastic! It runs like a champ, has a massive screen, keyboard is comfy, and its fast! I love it. I find that it was way better than my old HP.

ashley0323, Aug 13, 2016
Ask a Question