Looking for USB Stick bootable Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Franconian, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Franconian

Franconian

Hi there,

I'm looking for a basic bootable USB stick Linux for my Acer Aspire One. It should work "out of the box". Most important WIFI for Internet.

Can someone recommend a distribution which should work?

Cheers,

Frank

Franconian, Dec 6, 2009
  2. Franconian

melhiore

Moblin.

melhiore, Dec 6, 2009
  3. Franconian

yelvington

Ubuntu (UNR) works fine on my daughter's Aspire One. Booted from USB, checked functionality, wiped SSD disk and replaced Linpus.

yelvington, Dec 17, 2009
  4. Franconian

willie

Mandriva 2009.1, 2010 everything works

willie, Dec 17, 2009
  5. Franconian

RockDoctor

As you can see, there are a number of possibilities. I'm currently mostly running Fedora Rawhide with an LXDE desktop and Ubuntu 9.10 development with a GNOME desktop on my AOA150's HDD. My 1GB Flash drive currently holds lubuntu-lucid-alpha1. I haven't tried the most recent Puppy Linux on my Aspire One, but some of the older versions
    have worked very well, and Puppy is much less demanding of memory than Fedora, Ubuntu, and Moblin.

update: today (Feb 14) my USB stick holds the Feb 13 nightly compose of the LXDE spin of Fedora. I use my USB stick to try out various possibilities.

RockDoctor, Jan 3, 2010
  6. Franconian

me075064

Mint Linux with the Fluxbox Interface runs very well on the AA1 from a USB stick

me075064, May 23, 2010
  7. Franconian

vrkalak

I am using DebianLive 5.0.5 (Xfce) > http://live.debian.net/ and http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/USB

Debian loaded onto a USB flash-drive with no problems using the Unetbootin Installer.
    After changing the boot order in my AAO BIOS ... making it boot from USB first.

I have since upgraded to using Debian's Squeeze (testing) repositories and the new 2.6.35.2 Linux Kernel.

I also, run Debian Sid on my main PC ... so, I am very familiar with how Debian works.

On my AAO 10.1" Netbook ... everything with Debian has worked "outta the box" ... Wireless 3G USB Modem, WiFi, WebCam ... well, everything works.

vrkalak, Sep 7, 2010
  8. Franconian

bapiah

Hi Franconian,

have u tried Universal installer? u can try any of linux from USB. Here's the link below:
    http://tinyurl.com/y87u7aq

You can also see the list of linux supported on that page.

And to find the most compatible one I think you should let us know what's your aspire series or the spec. In my experiences ubuntu works like a charms out of the box in aspire netbooks.

bapiah, Feb 22, 2011
Ask a Question