Looking for small but good HDTV USB solution

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by sabregen, Jan 29, 2009.

1. sabregen

sabregen

I have want for a USB ATSC HDTV tuner. Unfortunately, I recent got rid of my Pinnacle Studio Pro, or I would just use that. However, it is possible that the Aspire One will require something of a slightly smaller form factor. Here's what I'm after:

USB 2.0 ATSC (no need for QAM or NTSC) HDTV tuner
    Mini/Micro/Pico - as small as possible. I intend to put it inside of the Aspire One
    A tuner where it would be easy to desolder the barrel connector that provides the antenna connection (so that I can relocate the antenna)

Regarding the antenna, I know that it may not be easy to determine (unless someone has already done this) which USB tuners might be easy to remove the antenna connection from the tuner PCB, itself. I would really like to be able to find an antenna system that I could solder onto the PCB leads where the barrel connector is on the tuner, and run the antenna cabling up into the LCD housing, but I don't know if anyone makes an antenna array that small, or for that purpose. If that is not an option, being able to desolder the barrel connector from the tuner's PCB, and running a lead to the left rear side of the chassis would be ideal. There, I could mount the flanged barrel connection for the antenna, and would like to have an adjustable, screw-in antenna with a right angle elbow on it (like a wireless antenna on a router, for instance).

I apologize if someone on here has already done a similar mod. I've tried to use the search function, and I do see others that have TV tuners internally addded, but it's always int he context of "look how much crap I fit into my netbook," and doesn't give any detail on how they did the antenna assembly, and design considerations.

Thanks in advance.

sabregen, Jan 29, 2009
  2. sabregen

adrianaitken

ATSC ? If you're European based then I recommend (from using it) the Terratec Cinergy T USB XXS.
    Pop the plastic case off, insulate the electronics and it fits neatly inside. Use some cable to run to a socket on the outside (I brought a MMS/MMX ? bulkhead connector) but the tiny antenna supplied is useless - get a big boosted one !!
    HD - if the software wasn't included in the pack (the -HD version), you can order it for about €8 or so I think. Haven't tried doing HD since the UK doesn't broadcast in HD yet.

adrianaitken, Jan 29, 2009
  3. sabregen

sabregen

Update, ordered this: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDe ... t=celebros

Hoping it works out. I tihnk the antenna design will lend itself well to being modded either into the base of the machine, or (more likely) into the LCD housing. There is some questoin as to whether or not the tuner will work under Vista, as it is about a 2 year old design, at this point. For the price though, it's hard to pass up the potential for a win.

Anyone using one of these?

sabregen, Jan 29, 2009
  4. sabregen

sabregen

I am based in the US, unfortunately. That tuner looks very interesting in design, and I particularly like the connection for the antenna (ssems more compact than the antenna connections we get over here in the states). If I move overseas, I will keep it in mind! ;)

sabregen, Jan 29, 2009
  5. sabregen

jerryt

jerryt, Jan 29, 2009
  6. sabregen

sabregen

Thanks so much for those pictures, it is very helpful. The location that the modder chose for the external antenna port is perfect. This is the exact spot that I had picked out (I haven't cracked mine open just yet) for a potential antenna port. The underside of the laptop, in the surrounding area is also ventilated, so there's not much risk to placing the jack on the side vent.

Does anyone have any information on the use of this particular TV tuner? I am hoping someone has a bit more information on it. I have been reading some reviews, but they're sort of mixed. Some are so-so, some are complimentary, and some downright bash it. I am more just hoping that the laptop has enough power behind it with the RAM upgrade that's coming, to run the HDTV tuner properly. As I said, I will be using my copy of BeyondTV (love that program), so the interface issues and the crappy included program are of no concern to me.

Also, does anyone have any ideas on the antenna, and the possibility of integrating it into the LCD portion of the cabinet? I have determined that the physical size of the antenna is about 7.4" x 4.2" x 0.78", so dissassembly should reveal something almost perfect to put behind the lcd. My only concern is that a component inside the antenna may be too thick to do so easily. Anyone?

sabregen, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question