Looking for replacement trackpad ribbon cable ZIF latch

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by shadow349, May 17, 2011.

1. shadow349

shadow349

Is there a place to get a replacement latch for the ZIF trackpad connector?

I guess I've been in-and-out of my unit a little too often over the years. I was closing up after replacing a failed HD and went to secure the trackpad ribbon and the latch part popped out. Upon closer inspection, a few of the teeth were broken. The trackpad works fine if I hold the ribbon cable in place with my finger, but it stops responding as soon as I let go. I've tried a few different methods of padding out above the latch so that the downward pressure of the keyboard would hold things in place, but to no avail.

Can I get a replacement latch?
    Is there another way to rig it?

Thanks.

shadow349, May 17, 2011
  2. shadow349

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

Not sure if you could get a connector from the likes of Maplin or RS?

To hold it mean time, could you not use a piece of sticky tape from the cable across the connector block? Electrical tape cut with scissors would probably be better than Sellotape.

That's what I would attempt first off.

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, May 18, 2011
  3. shadow349

shadow349

At the suggestion of another post I found, I took a guitar pick (.46mm) and cut a rectangle out just smaller than the length of the latch and a little bit wider.

I put the ribbon cable in place and then slid the shim under the metal clips that normally hold the latch.

This seems to be working so far.

Thanks.

shadow349, May 18, 2011
Ask a Question