Looking for decent laptop to play skyrim.

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by justin miller, Mar 30, 2014.

1. justin miller

justin miller

justin miller, Mar 30, 2014
  2. justin miller

justin miller

Or if anybody has a suggestion on a laptop 425$ or under. That would be great

justin miller, Mar 31, 2014
  3. justin miller

Sefie

In my opinion the second one would be the best pick for you. The graphic card of this one is quite decent for a built-in graphic card. Plus the memory it offers is great! I would surely go for that one if I were you, I'm sure you will be just fine with that one.

Sefie, Mar 31, 2014
  4. justin miller

KemoKa

If you're gaming and you're not using a gaming laptop, make sure whatever you're getting does not have an Intel GPU. They suck horribly and similarly-priced AMD APUs stomp all over them. an A6-5200 or an A8 will do you fine.

KemoKa, Apr 1, 2014
  5. justin miller

Patrick Shah

Hey,

The first link is not working. Just from looking at the 2nd and 3rd option, I would definitely tell you to pick the 2nd one.
    The graphic card is optimal for playing Skyrim.

Below are the specs for Skyrim:
    • Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
    • Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU processor
    • 4GB System RAM
    • 6GB free HDD (Hard disk drive) space
    • DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher
    • DirectX compatible sound card
    • Internet access for Steam activation

Patrick Shah, Apr 4, 2014
  6. justin miller

mikelouis

You can look for a HP probook. It has better features and will still deliver the performance that you are looking for. I have one and it really works well with most games.

mikelouis, Apr 6, 2014
  7. justin miller

KemoKa

You have to understand, these specs are the absolute minimum that your computer should have to even play Skyrim. Most lower-tier GPUs will be able to play most high-stress games if you are using the highest video settings possible. At these specs, your computer will struggle. GPUs these days are DirectX 11 compatible and integrated ones use your system ram rather than integrated memory.

One other thing, DO NOT BUY AN HP. If you look on forums, you will find countless accounts from people who have had HPs fail on them in the past, and I can vouch for all of them. My HP was a piece of trash before I finally destroyed it and moved on to a Toshiba. HP makes a lot of cheap computers, granted, but they are mostly poorly designed and built garbage that will fry themselves within two years of moderate use. Toshiba C-series laptops, on the other hand, are a line of low-to-mid tier laptops well-known for their stability and longevity. Dells are excellent, and so are Asus'

In any case, unless you are planning on buying an actual gaming laptop, go with an A10 or at least an A8. The A10 has an HD 7660D GPU which is more than powerful enough to run Skyrim at playable framerates at moderate settings. And beware HP.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    KemoKa, Apr 6, 2014
  8. justin miller

NeroFerk

If you buy an old Desktop you can upgrade it you could play skyrim easily.

NeroFerk, Apr 6, 2014
  9. justin miller

mjhunter23

I will say the laptop I currently use is surprisingly good at gaming. Its the Lenovo u410. The one I have has a SSD which helps with the speed but its only 25gb it also had a standard 750gb hard drive. The laptop cost me £750 ($1256.63) just over a year ago. But the main specs you will want is a good graphics card by nvidia and a (preferably) core i7 processor.

mjhunter23, Apr 9, 2014
  10. justin miller

Maledictum

I can personally vouch for how terrible intel integrated cards are. I have a 700$ laptop that was loaned to me until I could build my pc and it will not even run World of Warcraft at lowest settings and go over 10 fps. I can't even do the latest raid tier in LFR until I get my new computer, obnoxious. The game looks like WoW for the nintendo ds. Intel integrated = the devil.

Maledictum, Apr 11, 2014
  11. justin miller

XeNoNF50

You're probably best off avoiding laptops with integrated graphics cards. The problem is, on 425$ that may be a little difficult. If the problem cannot be avoided, try to get a laptop with a more recent integrated graphics card, maybe the Intel HD 4000 or above.

XeNoNF50, Apr 11, 2014
  12. justin miller

Maledictum

The card on the laptop I am using at the moment is a 3000, I think. I don't know how much of an upgrade a 4000 would be, though no doubt better.

Maledictum, Apr 13, 2014
  13. justin miller

LindaKay

I would probably choose a desktop for gaming, but maybe I'm from the old school. I still prefer using my desktop for work and such; I just use my laptop usually when I'm in the living room and want to hang out and surf at the same time, or if I'm traveling. Alienware has laptops, I think, and I'm sure they would be good for gaming, but I bet they are a bit more expensive than what you're trying to spend.

LindaKay, Apr 30, 2014
  14. justin miller

KemoKa

Like I said, Intel graphics suck horribly. They don't have enough power or even the right architecture to play just moderately graphics-heavy games. Intel's GPUs are tiny, inaccessible and underpowered, AMD APUs use discrete-class stream processors with the same architecture as the 7000 series graphics cards and the GPUs take up more space on the processor die than the actual CPU cores. They walk all over Intel HD4000 in every single integrated graphics benchmark. I just bought a laptop with a mobile A10. Those things are beastly for their price. They'll play WoW at max settings at around 40fps. For a laptop with no dedicated GPU, that's ridiculously good.
    On the other hand, your HD 4000 will not even be able to cope, let alone play the actual game.

KemoKa, May 4, 2014
Ask a Question