Live Update vs Software Update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NickVZ, Jan 6, 2009.

1. NickVZ

NickVZ

I successfully managed to run Live Update this morning and installed the multitude of updates listed. I also activated the advance desktop menu option. While browsing some of the options under this menu I noticed the Software Update menu.
    Can somebody tell me what the difference is between Live Update and Software update ?
    Do I need to run them both ?
    Grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Nick

NickVZ, Jan 6, 2009
  2. NickVZ

rowantree

Live Update is updates Acer deem necessary for your One.

Software update (presumably you mean via Add/Remove) is extra stuff you can install, like the GIMP and Filezilla etc

rowantree, Jan 6, 2009
  3. NickVZ

NickVZ

No this appears to be a different one.
    On the advanced desktop menu I can see the Add/Remove software option, but a bit further down is the Software Updater Option.

NickVZ, Jan 6, 2009
  4. NickVZ

rowantree

Right enough.... never noticed that one.... I'm all ears same as you now...!

rowantree, Jan 6, 2009
  5. NickVZ

whyay

Software update can break your system. It is not for linpus lite. It can replace the original kernel, the original drivers. For example, power button will not work, hotkeys will not work after total software update. It also can interfere with live update and further break your system. However, you can update some not so important packages, for example, if you yourself installed a package from a fedora repository, and then you see an update for it, you can install it, but don't forget to unselect all other updates.

whyay, Jan 7, 2009
  6. NickVZ

NickVZ

Many thanks for the reply and advice - I think it's something I'll leave well alone until I understand a little more about Linux and my particular machine. I'll stick to Live Update instead.

Cheers

NickVZ, Jan 7, 2009
Ask a Question