Live update on 18/9/08

Discussion in 'Linux' started by steven.chien, Sep 20, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

I saw many post here saying that the patch released on 18 will not work, after installation, the system will break up/corrupt, I would like to know if this is an error by Acer or by Hacks done by ourselves? (like enabling advance menu)

steven.chien, Sep 20, 2008
  2. steven.chien

mzc

It is working. I have posted what happened in mine : viewtopic.php?f=48&t=3664

but I think, if you already have had mods, this may cause conflicts with the updates.

mzc, Sep 20, 2008
  3. steven.chien

moocherx

I did the big live update last week, and now my Acer One is useless.

Apps work, icons have moved, but on startup "Failed to Initialize HAL!" and I cannot connect to the internet.

Luckily, because I was on business and can't fully trust Linux machines yet, I can continue on my windows laptop.

However, I am unable to find any fix online for the machine-crashing "Live Update", so I have to wait 4 weeks until I return to Thailand to take the Acer One back for, what will probably be, a complete system rebuild.

I'm quite annoyed by the whole thing, and once it's up and running again, I will not automatically install live updates as they arrive.

moocherx, Sep 22, 2008
  4. steven.chien

ivor

Hi,

Have you tweaked the configuration from the out of the box settings? updated any packages? changed the desktop? If you've done that then the Acer live update *will not work reliably*. The only guarantee is that it will update an unmodified Aspire.
    Why do you need to wait for 4 weeks to return the Acer? Can't you restore the original linpus image on the machine?

To get your network working temporarily once you've booted, you can press Alt-F2 and start "terminal".

then type "sudo /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart"
    you might also need: "sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart" and "sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher restart"

Cheers,
    Ivor

ivor, Sep 22, 2008
  5. steven.chien

moocherx

Thanks for the reply.

Other than installing Skype, nothing else had changed on the Acer.

Also, because I"m travelling, I don't have any of the documentation (or disks? can't remember what was in the box...) to restore it (also, I'm a hopeless non-techie).

However, I"ll try your idea for getting the network back up and running tonight, and let you know if it works!

Cheers.

moocherx, Sep 22, 2008
  6. steven.chien

steven.chien

I haven't change the one much, i only install skype picasa, and real player, and also enable the right click menu. I installed the patch yesterday but nothing wrong with it. as well as i don't find any changes in the system.

steven.chien, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question