Live update 18/9

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ivor, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ivor

ivor

There's another live update today. Just a single change in it.

The description says:
    "Apply this patch to make xfdesktop perform better"

I haven't checked what the actual fix is but I guess prior warning for those who've updated their xfce.

ivor, Sep 18, 2008
  2. ivor

ivor

ok it contains a single rpm:
    xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched.i386.rpm

ok indeed beware if you've updated your desktop and not backed it up. the rpm overwrites various files:

/usr/bin/xfdesktop2
    links in /usr/share/applications/*back.desktop *more.desktop
    /usr/share/backgrounds/images/[various]
    /usr/share/desktop-directories/*

Doesn't do anything else. worth skipping this one if you're using the xfce desktop.... and no reason not to install it if you're using the acer desktop.

ivor, Sep 18, 2008
  3. ivor

partiklehead

Well, those warnings have good reasons!

I am using the 'acer' desktop, but like many others I did enable the right-click menu and have made several modifications to my system. After applying the live update and rebooting, my system has pretty much gone to hell!

All I see of my screen is a greenish noise. The search bar is still visible, and also the menu bar at the bottom, however several tray-icons are missing.

Right click doesn't do anything, alt-F2 doesn't do anything, Internet connection is not working (I can open firefox by searching for something in the search box on the desktop)...

So without any apparant way to get into the terminal, I have no idea if I can fix this...

I thought of the recovery disk, but for some reason it freezes when I try to make a usb recover disk. sigh...

Hope someone can help!

partiklehead, Sep 18, 2008
  4. ivor

Shad0wguy

Thanks for the warning, I'll be holding off on this update until it gets sorted out.

Shad0wguy, Sep 18, 2008
  5. ivor

jammer

I had to restore my A1 earlier and just performed a live update straight after the install completed. After all the updates were installed including the new one today I only see 2 icons in each section on the default acer gui. When you expand the individual sections "connect", "work" etc all the icons are there, but scattered around the place.

Haven't yet noticed much performance difference with the update or anything else to that matter. :D

jammer, Sep 18, 2008
  6. ivor

feed_sparky

I installed the update and have had no problems... all icons in place... but then again i haven't really mucked with my system... yet!

feed_sparky, Sep 19, 2008
  7. ivor

zero9046

I had the same problems that jammer had with this update. I even used the system recovery disc, and tried to redownload the update, but the same thing happened. Back to the system recovery disc...again. I'm not going to install this update for the time being.

zero9046, Sep 19, 2008
  8. ivor

veetrik

Hi Picklehead,
    You can use the search bar to do a search for 'Terminal' and then execute the terminal from the list that is returned. ;)

veetrik, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question