Little Problem after HDD Mod...

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ernestoo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ernestoo

ernestoo

Hi.

I've just installed a 1.8" 60GB Toshiba Harddrive. After Restoring the latest Backup of my System which was on the SSD the Size of my HDD shows only 6.4GB.

What can i do??

Thanks for answering!!!

Cheers.

ernestoo, Jul 19, 2009
  2. ernestoo

DutchDK

Thats because the backup you restored was an image of the data partition on the SSD. You need to boot an USB key with a linux distro on, that contains gparted (an opensource equivalent to Partition Magic in the Windows world). Then from that USB key, using gparted you can "grow" the partition to fill your new harddisk.

I can recommend getting the SystemRescueCD distrobution, which fits on a small USB key.
    Download the SystemRescueCD from http://www.sysresccd.org, then follow this howto, to make a bootable SystemRescueCD USBkey : http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manu ... _USB-stick

DutchDK, Jul 19, 2009
  3. ernestoo

mali

From within Windows XP you can use Easeus Partition Manager. It's free and powerful.

mali, Jul 19, 2009
  4. ernestoo

ernestoo

Hey.

Thanks for your help!

I've tried GParted with Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix that i have as a Live Stick. It shows the root partition (6.4GB), the swap partition (1GB) and the rest of the HDD (about 50GB; allocated) ... It's not possible to resize the root partition to a greater volume than 6.4GB (7.4 if you remove the swap).

Did i miss anything?

Thanks!

ernestoo, Jul 19, 2009
  5. ernestoo

DutchDK

Delete the partition that fills the rest of the HDD - the 50 GB. Then delete the Swap partition. Resize the root partition to whatever size you want, leaving enough space to make a swap partition that is slightly larger than the amount of installed ram, if you want to be able to hibernate.

DutchDK, Jul 19, 2009
  6. ernestoo

ernestoo

Finally!

It's done. I had to erase the swap partition with gparted on my system and after that i was able to raise the size of my HDD with gparted on the live Stick. It took a few tries....

Thanks very much for your help! :!:

Cheers.

ernestoo, Jul 20, 2009
Ask a Question