linux to Linux home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by donec, Nov 13, 2008.

1. donec

donec

I have searched and found a lot about networking with Windows but I don't see information about having a home network with two different versions of just Linux. I have 5 computers 2 are running Windows and the other 3 are running Mepis 7 KDE, Ubuntu 8 Gnome and Mandriva 2009 Gnome. All the computers work with the Windows computers through samba. However! the Linux computers do not see each other. So how do I set up a home network for Linux? What programs do I need? Please if you can give GUI instructions as I can copy paste to the terminal but I don't understand what is happening then but with GUI I will understand at least the procedure.

donec, Nov 13, 2008
  2. donec

Japser

Japser, Nov 13, 2008
  3. donec

donec

I don't know anything about NFS, but I have installed nfs4-acl-tools-gui and will try it in the morning to see if that is all I need to do. Maybe I need to install it on all the Linux computers or maybe need more. If anyone knows about this stuff please let me know. Thanks in advance.

donec, Nov 13, 2008
  4. donec

N6546R

When you say that the Linux machines don't see each other, what is it you're trying to do? I'm going to guess that you just want to see all the machines' hard drives...the quickest way to do that in a mixed Windows/Linux environment is to use Samba, which it seems you are already doing. Most of the file managers on the distributions you are running will accept smb://server/share in their browse window. Is that what your goal is?

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 13, 2008
  5. donec

donec

I want to be able to share files between all the computers.

donec, Nov 13, 2008
  6. donec

N6546R

I thought so... a Samba server on each of the Linux machines will let you share the Linux file systems with both Linux and Windows.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question