[Linux Linpus] Add/Change Applications of Default Desktop

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Tybor, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tybor

Guest Guest

I am trying to create a new .desktop file for a program that runs through wine. I copied the paint program's .desktop file and pasted it in the same place and was given no error about "that file already exists" which was strange. I went about changing the .desktop file (including its name) using mousepad, added the <app sequence ... line to the config file, and rebooted. Now my paint icon on the desktop is gone and the other program's icon was not created.

Any thoughts?

Guest, Aug 5, 2008
  2. Tybor

Guest Guest

I got the icons on the desktop. But it doesn't do anything when I click it. I changed the permissions to 777 (read, write, executable for all) and the command that it runs works in the terminal. But still nothing. Does linux hate me?

Guest, Aug 6, 2008
  3. Tybor

dbwebartist

I've been able to make everything but I can't save my new .desktop file to the usr/share/applications folder. I'm assuming it's permissions but how do I get around it or log in as root?

Thanks

dbwebartist, Aug 8, 2008
  4. Tybor

Raido

Conrad, my best guess would be that you didn't type in the right filename of the executable - it has to be exactly right. (usually they're viewable in /usr/share/applications from Terminal/Xterm).

Raido, Aug 8, 2008
  5. Tybor

Guest Guest

I've quadruple checked the file name that the .xml file refers to, and it runs when I right click and go to other applications (which is populated from the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications). I think its just a bug. But I'm just going to live with the file types being associated with the program in firefox and in Thunar so that it will always open with the right application.

Guest, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Tybor

hintss

I changed my xml file and it got messed up could someone post a link to an internet copy of the original.

Or send it to my gmail at [email protected]

hintss, Aug 13, 2008
  7. Tybor

hintss

Just open a ternimal and type sudo thunar. (without period). it will open thunar as the root user and anything you edit will be in the root user.

The sudo in front of any command, it dosent matter which, makes it run as the root user and the thunar is the command for the graghical file browser.

hintss, Aug 13, 2008
  8. Tybor

dbwebartist

Thanks hintss. I'll use that from now on.

dbwebartist, Aug 14, 2008
  9. Tybor

hintss

You're Welcome.

hintss, Aug 14, 2008
  10. Tybor

hintss

hintss, Aug 14, 2008
  11. Tybor

lightpost

You can find an internal backup copy of the file here:

/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop

Copy and paste it from that folder to your /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/ folder and you should be okay. Probably would help to create a duplicate copy in the same folder, so you have an easy backup to retrieve in case you break it again. :p

Should point out that you don't necessarily have to add your new desktop links in /usr/share/applications.

You can create new desktop files in your home folder (e.g., /home/user/menu) and then add those links to your XML file.

Assuming the Desktop file works to begin with, the Acer Desktop will display these links just like any other one stored in /usr/share/applications. Don't know why certain links (especially those for KDE programs) are finicky, but you can fix them with enough trial and error. Here's a few tips that I hope will help:

1) Try to do all the copying and renaming from the Terminal rather than Thunar. The Terminal displays their REAL .desktop names (whereas Thunar reports only the names in the actual "Name=" line).

2) Try to simplify the "Exec=" line of your desktop link as much as possible (e.g., from "Exec=gimp-2.4 %U" to "Exec=gimp-2.4". KDE apps especially have a lot of trailing stuff at the end of their executable lines that the Acer desktop cannot process.

3) If you HAVE to have a lot of trailing commands (e.g., to execute Wine games), then consider building a separate script file instead (conveniently saved in the same /home/user/menu folder). While this separate script can be as expansive and complicated as you need it to be, the desktop file only needs to report "Exec=/home/user/menu/launchwinegame.sh" or something like that. Be sure to read up on BASH scripting before you do: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/
    Also, don't forget to make your script executable in the file's Properties.

4) Use desktop files that work as templates to help fix desktop files that do not. Especially with KDE desktop files, I noticed that removing certain lines (in order to make it look like Gnome/XFCE desktop file content) allows the desktop file to either work, display properly or NOT crash your Acer Desktop menu. It's more convenient if you only copy the original KDE desktop file into your /home/user/menu directory, and then modify that copy to your heart's content (without ever having to use root access). :D

5) Precisely because of this Trial-and-Error approach, be sure to know how you can restart your Acer desktop in case it crashes. If it crashes (the color menus disappear, just leaving behind a grey screen with the search bar all alone), then press ALT+F2 to summon the Run window, and type "xfdesktop2". If on the other hand you want to refresh the screen, type "kill xfdesktop2" to intentionally crash it, and then type "xfdesktop2" to reload it again. ;)

And finally, the most important of all...

6) Yes, PNG files can also be stored in your /home folder somewhere, so no need to keep them in /usr/share/pixmaps or /usr/share/icons. Ideally, you would want to store them in /home/user/menu/icons so you can keep them always accessible (but not have them mingle with your REAL pictures stored in /home/user/Pictures). Also, be sure the pictures are 96x96 and formatted as PNGs to avoid any trouble with the Acer Desktop. ;)

I'm hoping perhaps one day a lot of this can be automated through a custom-written application built by us (the AAO community). After bypassing the initial oddities, the Acer Desktop would not be that terribly hard to customize via such a GUI application.

lightpost, Aug 21, 2008
  12. Tybor

veetrik

veetrik, Aug 28, 2008
  13. Tybor

Colt45

Where IS that Skype thread? I can't re-find it. Also, what is the significance of "<app sequence="13">" and how do you select the number? How do you know which desktop group you're putting the icon in?

DOS was a looong time ago and Manrake was several years back, too. I'm having to relearn Linux. Still, the AA1 is tres cool!

Colt45, Sep 13, 2008
  14. Tybor

t-pot

ive just had to download gnome ppp and thats now working fine, however, i cant add a desktop link for it. ive done this for skype with no problem.

however, it does appear that gnome is running from the root, as i have to put my root password in to use it

how can i add this to my desk top ?

cheers

t-pot, Dec 28, 2008
  15. Tybor

kingralph

thanks for posting. that brings me more crazy ideas.

kingralph, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Tybor

vikont

Open the corresponding xxx.desktop file and remove the extra %u cruft in the Exec line. E.g., change "Exec=opera %u" to "Exec=opera". Same for gimp.

vikont, Jan 6, 2009
  17. Tybor

larkim

I'm good with editing the .xml file for the desktop icons. But some of my apps are "missing" .desktop files. I also (now) know how to create these.

But to save me some legwork, is it possibly the case that .desktop file already exist in locations I've not thought of? What ls command would I use to find them.

I think I've tried ls *.desktop > listing.txt (I like to retain the output so I can search easily), but that only searches in the current directory. What switch do I need to add to ls to search all subdirectories (assuming I'm at the root) too?

THanks!

Matt

larkim, Jun 29, 2009
  18. Tybor

Dazza007

Can I ask for somebody's help here please, I've followed the instructions from reghardwares 10 tweaks for the acer and got to this one http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page3.html and when I open vlc player I get 'main error: no suitable access module for '%U' can anyone explain what this means. Also when I try to move the icon it wont move, it moved once when I had the configuration file open but when I restarted the machine everything was back where it was originally, on looking in the file again I could see under <id>7<id> what I think is 2 items for vlc media player on the same line, one said app sequence"5" and the other said "6" I changed the "5" to a "0" but nothing happened to the desktop icon, any idea's?

Dazza007, Jul 31, 2009
  19. Tybor

larkim

You should be able to drag the traffic cone icon around to put it in the place / order that you want to see it on screen. I've certainly done that with mine and it "sticks" following a reboot. If you do have two items in the group-app.xml file then maybe its getting confused? Perhaps delete one of the lines?

As far as that VLC error goes, I think you need to edit the vlc .desktop file - there is a line in there which asks VLC to open a default location (%U) when it opens, but its not needed. I *think* all I did was remove the %u from mine - I'll take a look when I get home tonight!

Matt

larkim, Aug 3, 2009
  20. Tybor

Dazza007

OK cheers matt, I must have done something wrong somewhere along the line, havent used DOS to any extent since school on a BBC Acorn. Nearly 20 years ago. I defo cant move the VLC link, wouldnt there be 2 icons if there are 2 ibputs in (I cant remember the name, sudo?) DOS.

Dazza007, Aug 4, 2009
Ask a Question