Linux, Bluetooth Headset - Working, Kinda. Yeah!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tokyoturnip, Oct 23, 2008.

1. tokyoturnip

tokyoturnip

Just letting everyone know that I am close to getting my Plantronics520 working fully with my One.
    As I have posted a reply in a different post, I am able to bind my headset and to my BT dongle following the instructions for using BT for connecting to phone. (Turning on Audio service for the headset)
    Following 1/2 of the instructions on http://alfa2linux.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-jabra-finally-working-with-bluez.html I was able to see the Bluetooth in Skype...
    Edit: I just realized that in the article he used Bluez version 3.28, and I still have packages 3.20, I will see about upgrading, or compiling if needed this weekend.

Edit: I forgot to add the most important step.
    Following that article I created the file .asoundrc in home dir.
    With the following contents.
    pcm.bluetooth {
    type bluetooth
    device "00:00:00:00:00:00" <-- Your Headset MAC here.
    profile "auto"
    }

I was not able to successfully run the python script that he created, but I will try to manually achieve on command line later.
    It is very very very flaky, my headset seems to beep whenever skype is running, when not in call. And while trying to answer a call or make a call half the time it will give errors about Audio problems. Additionally it takes foreveeeeeeeer to open the audio settings in Skype, and a good 15-30secs to start a phonecall.
    I will say however that the Voicemails I have left myself on my home phone using skype appears to have very good quality.
    However all this has given me hope, and hopefully hope for the rest of us.
    Edit: I think if upgrade the Bluez packages to 3.28 hopefully it will be successful.
    Once I get it working successfully I will post more complete instructions, unless someone beats me to the punch, please share your successes.

tokyoturnip, Oct 23, 2008
  2. tokyoturnip

tokyoturnip

Yeah. I got it working last night.
    Well working good enough for me.
    I will try to write in length later as I am at work now.
    But the key was adding the Testing Tree repository.
    Uninstalling the stable versions of Bluetooth apps, which I install following the guide for installing BT for phones.
    Installing the newest versions of the Bluetooth Apps Version 3.35, and hcidump 1.42.
    And creating and configuring the ./asoundrc file in home dir.

I have made a few phone calls, and the quality seems good enough for making a phone call on the run in a cafe.
    The one downside...It seems that you need to restart the Bluetooth service and reconnect the headpiece after each call. Which, personally I do not think is the worst thing in the world. However if the other party hangs up the call, the restart does not appear to be nessicary, so maybe it is a matter of tweaking. (I probably will not bother.)
    Will follow up later.

tokyoturnip, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question