linux attack site?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jack Vermicelli, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

It seems like http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Intrepid (intentionally *not* a link) does something not nice with my system running linpus. Twice in a row, attempting to tab over to that page (in firefox 3.0.5) looks like it kills xfce- I get a momentary black screen, and then the "Aspire (1)NE" splash screen, overlaid with a translucent scrolling notification to that effect and of things the system is doing (mostly network notifications, though typing in "exit" really quick between them seems to reset what it's showing, and it's interesting to see what's being invoked when I hit the power button). The first time it happened, eventually it said something about remounting remaining filesystem as read-only and restarting, with the word "remaining" scaring me a bit, but it seems to work fine.

Anyway, my question(s): Is it in fact that site that is messing things up (aimed at linux newbs?) either maliciously or otherwise, what can I do to either prevent this effect or stay clear of any such pages, and what can I do to relaunch X, xfce, or whatever I need to do to regain control and the GUI once it has happened?

Jack Vermicelli, Jan 26, 2009
  2. Jack Vermicelli

markh

OK, because I suffer from insatiable curiosity, I did the backup I'd been meaning to for a few days, then went for a look. Jack is not joking, there's something serious up with that site, whether by accident or design. I went to the top level, but it immediately redirected to the page he gave, and upon loading it chucked me out to a screen throwing a large number of messages related to the network manager - basically identical to what Jack describes.

markh, Jan 26, 2009
  3. Jack Vermicelli

markh

markh, Jan 26, 2009
  4. Jack Vermicelli

Jack Vermicelli

That's interesting; thanks for finding it. Firefox tells me that there are no updates available, however. Any ideas?

Jack Vermicelli, Jan 26, 2009
Ask a Question