Linpus won't install

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by TTgowings, Aug 30, 2008.

1. TTgowings

TTgowings

I purchased the One with the 120g and XP installed, I was going to try to backup my XP files first but I can't seem to get that to work.I've read oodles of the different backup and restore posts and linpus installation posts, been at this nearly 9 hours now and am about at the end of my rope. Any help or sugestions would greatly be appreciated.

So now I just want to install Linpus on it and the heck with the backup but everything I've tried with Linpus on a thumb drive fails. I've tried formatting with and installing the provided ISO image with Fat and Fat32, and on 3 different thumb drives, a 1GB Corsair TurboFlash, and a 2GB & a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager.

I've already done a XP recovery to see if that was the problem but still won't install sometimes it goes about one blue line in the progress bar then the #2 Caps Lock LED then just sits there and blinks other times it will start to install then error with no Linux and has boot in the cmd line.

I've tried mounting the imgs with Power ISO and tried it that way, burned the ISO's with Roxio and copied them to the thumb drives and tried the Unetbootin way, still no go.

Is there any possibility that Acer updated their bios or firmware somehow to make it so you couldn't install the default Linpus ?

TTgowings, Aug 30, 2008
  2. TTgowings

Sid

Not likely.

I had the same sort of hassle with making Linux bootable usb sticks.

In the end I used an external CD drive on the One, much more reliable for recovery (having failed on lots of PC's and usb sticks previously)

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question