Linpus Vs Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook remix Speed comparison

Discussion in 'Linux' started by me075064, May 10, 2009.

1. me075064

me075064

Hi all.

I've been using ubuntu for about a week now, and although I enjoy using it and it's a lot more flexible then Linpus, it does seem to be slower in operation then Linpus.

Surfing, Iplayer & youtube seem to be noticeably slower in Ubuntu then in Linpus.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Although boot time is quicker then I was expecting,

Cheers
    John M

me075064, May 10, 2009
  2. me075064

pling

Yes, Remix ran like treacle on my 512/8. I noticed that browsing was slow and blamed it on an off day for my ISP. Then I changed to another Ubuntu distro and zoooom.

The other problem was the Remix went crazy when I used it's update.

pling, May 10, 2009
  3. me075064

me075064

Thanks pling.

Which distro did you switch to?

Many thanks
    John M

me075064, May 10, 2009
  4. me075064

luizfermiranda

Mine is great after some graphics benchs.

And the boot time is slower, but i got wireless signal much faster then linpus.

luizfermiranda, May 18, 2009
  5. me075064

GlenMH

I have found that the file system that you format the SSD with makes a massive difference.

ext3 runs like a dog. ext2 is as good as linpus on the 512/8 machine. Bototup is marginally longer but accessing network drives etc is so so much easier. And netork printing to an HP all-in-one worked without any additional software.

UNR has been excellent for my machine. Key thing is to set the right size of swap partition so that hibernate still works....

GlenMH, May 18, 2009
  6. me075064

Frits

I found that Xubuntu 9.0.4. works very well, evrything works out of the box.
    Uptime is about 2,5 hours.
    Only the wifi-led isn't working.

Frits, May 18, 2009
  7. me075064

zaphod

I agree that 9.04 UNR is generally less snappy than Linpus, even with an ext2 installation. It is however so much more usable with decent package management, network support, etc. There is no way I would return to Linpus.

I improved the surfing experience significantly by ditching Firefox in favour of Opera 10 Turbo.

zaphod, May 18, 2009
  8. me075064

lotus49

Most things work but unfortunately it's not true that everything works.

The card readers don't work properly even with Sickboy's kernel. With the standard 9.04 kernel you will run the risk of trashing a mount SDHC card if you suspend. The right hand card reader doesn't work unless a card is present at boot time and even then is unreliable. AFAICT everything else does work (including the wifi light with Sickboy's kernel).

My installation of 9.04 works very well and isn't noticeably slow doing anything. Like GlenMH I suspect that this is mainly down to filesystem/SSD tweaks rather than anything wrong with the distro itself.

lotus49, May 20, 2009
  9. me075064

mzc

The ODM Linpus lite cannot really be directly compared to the ubuntu netbook remix. I would say that moblin v2 beta (just released recently) might be better to compare since it has been truly optimized for atom chips. Generic OS does not have the exact drivers/kernel customization as the Acer's linpus lite. Even if they do, generic OS are desig to facilitate all netbook makes. that means a very heavy kernel, thus affects performance.

mzc, May 21, 2009
  10. me075064

cht123

I was tired of Linpus and switched to UNR but it's very slow and I have started to think of installing XP instead to find out if that OS is faster.
    Except for the slowness I have one more problem with UNR and that is when I switch to use standard desktop and reboot, then after login all menus and such is gone but the system is running. It must be possible to fix that but I don't know what config to change.
    Any one out here that have the solution?

I have done it twice so it must be a general fault. I do it because I want to run "normal" desktop, not the special one.

Thanks iin advance!
    /henrik

cht123, May 30, 2009
  11. me075064

mzc

Hi henrik,

The desktop switch is a known issue in the current release of ubuntu nebook remix. I also hope this is will be fixed on the next release (karmic koala). If you want to install the "normal desktop" just use the desktop version:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
    the only difference is the maximus desktop (netbook graphic interface)

mzc

mzc, May 31, 2009
  12. me075064

mrbob

hi all

Sorry for my poor english.

I've bought my AAO at about 4 months. Until now i used linpus but customized, with vlc, vnc, audacious, smplayer, azureus, and more apps that i found usefull. And also installed the desktop switch rpm, I have always defended the linpus because all the general features that the most commons users use can be installed, and they work quiet good, and most mportant i defend linpus because i'm convinced that is the OS with the best performance for a simple reason, linpus was designed proposely for AAO. Yesterday i've decided to install eeebuntu base.. The first impression was good. The boot time is practical the same, the work enviroment is much better looking, friendly user, and more complete. The wonderful thing is the repos, with less apps, but working and reliable ones. Apps that you can really need, and use in your day to day use ( for example: the games ). But there is negative points. Right now, while i'm writing this post i only have 2 firefox windows and 1 file manager window opened, and some times firefox freezes, in fact firefox always freezes every 5 minutes. The power led of the wifi card doesn work well but that is secondary, in fact i think that can be resolved in some tricky script because it turns on randomly itself, mine is now on, b ut if i close this wndow it turns off. to resume, linpus is more restricted and limited, mas has the best performance, but also instable if you push to much of it. Eeebuntu is wide, and have a large set of apps, with almoust categories, but is slower, and that is not good qhe the only thing you are doing is browsing the net.

Another thing ebuntu doesn't have the power manager feature that givess you the possibility, of change bettween full performance, balanced and saving but i think you already realised that the only difference is the brightness of the screen.

My conclusion is that you should try ebuntu, to see the potential of linux, specially if your first experience was the linpus on aao, like me.

greatings,
    mrbob

Portugal

mrbob, May 31, 2009
  13. me075064

cht123

Thanks mzc for the info. Then I'll install the reqular version of ubuntu.

/henrik

cht123, Jun 1, 2009
  14. me075064

kairijuno

It happened once with my UNR setup, I want a regular desktop, switched, reboot and there is only wallpaper there, reboot it again and it works, also disabling maximus at auto startup application, the windows will remember the state when it was closed. I don't know if something wrong with my UNR, but 720p HD playback will stutter when the screen have a lot of color or fast moving objects like explosions, even after following the tweak at ubuntu help for AAO110. Now I'm waiting for ubuntu moblin. Moblin beta is cool with its interface, the bunny plays smoothly, but no 3G yet.

kairijuno, Jun 4, 2009
  15. me075064

scwinn

Try Crunchbang!

It is like having Ubuntu on steroids. Fast boot. Pre-installed codecs, flash, etc. Cool interface. Ubuntu repos. Fast, fast, fast! And pretty stable.

I have tried Ubuntu, UNR (Jaunty), Easy Peasy, Linpus, Fedors 10, Windows XP, Windows Vista on my AOA150 and my D150. In EVERY case Crunchbang out performed everything else!

scwinn, Jun 8, 2009
  16. me075064

Guest Guest

Guest, Jun 9, 2009
  17. me075064

edwinv

edwinv, Jun 9, 2009
  18. me075064

cybershrike

cybershrike, Jun 10, 2009
  19. me075064

bryan

Hello, I have Linpus and the latest Ubuntu on my computer and Linpus starts up and gives me an internet connection in one minute flat, however Ubuntu requires name and password input and this slows it down.. and then it will not let me connect to the internet, so I am having to use Linpus for the internet. Is anybody having the same difficulty and can anybody suggest how to get on the internet with Ubuntu? I have another laptop that is loaded with Windows XP and the latest Ubuntu and have no problem getting onto the internet with that computer...it would seem that Linpus is in some way stopping Ubuntu access to the internet??????
    Bryan

bryan, Jun 12, 2009
  20. me075064

jacktar

Ubuntu doesn't require name and password input if you set automatic login.

jacktar, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question