Linpus regular desktop problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by timmygcsc2308, Aug 14, 2008.

1. timmygcsc2308

timmygcsc2308

Ok so I followed the guide in the how-to section on enabling the proper desktop:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58
    When I terminate the xfdesktop2 process and run xfdesktop-xfce, everything is fine and dandy and the icons are there and everything works normally.
    So I now want to make this permanent, so the method I use to do this is:
    1) reboot (just so everything is back to normal)
    2) Press ALT+F2 and run 'sudo mousepad'
    3) open the xfce4-session.rc file and change Client0_Command=xfdesktopnew to Client0_Command=xfdesktop-xfce
    4) save and reboot

however when I reboot there are no icons on the desktop, the theme I've set doesn't work (everything looks generic) and every 'settings' program doesn't work at all. Ctrl+Alt+Del and ALT+F2 doesn't work either.
    What am I missing :?:

timmygcsc2308, Aug 14, 2008
  2. timmygcsc2308

kompute

I'm having a very similar issue as well. When I reboot it stops xfce from managing my desktop and takes my icons away. I check the box to let xfce manage my desktop and then my old aspire one desktop comes back up. I reboot and it reverts back to no icons and xfce not managing my desktop again. I made sure that I was in root every time that I changed any settings, have rechecked the xfce4-session.rc every time (still says xfce is set to manage the desktop). I don't know exactly what's going on but I'm thinking about reinstalling the OS again to make sure It isn't some sort of issue with any of the software I've loaded if I can't figure it out or get some help.

kompute, Aug 21, 2008
  3. timmygcsc2308

rebuilder

My solution to this was a little hacky, and a bit different from what I've seen here.
    Basically I figured the issue is that by default, something calls xfdesktop2 while what we want is xfdesktop-xfce. I tried grepping to find out where that happens, but didn't really find anything. Here's what you can do, though:

1. If you edited xfce4-session.rc, revert it back to running xfdesktopnew where you switched it to xfdesktop-xfce.
    (I think xfdesktopnew runs a bunch of stuff we need as well as launches xfdesktop2. Maybe not, but anyway, doing it my way worked for me.)
    2. open a terminal and do the following:
    Code:
     cd /usr/bin
    sudo mv xfdesktop2 xfdesktop2.old
    sudo ln -s xfdesktop-xfce xfdesktop2
    What I did there is first rename xfdesktop2 to get it out of the way, but to have a backup. There actually seems to already be a backup of it, but I couldn't be bothered to verify it's actually the same thing. Then I created a symbolic link to xfdesktop-xfce and named it xfdesktop2. This way, when xfdesktop2 is run on startup, it actually runs xfdesktop-xfce.

Afterwards, reboot to see that it works, it did for me.

rebuilder, Aug 21, 2008
  4. timmygcsc2308

suki22

Hi,

i had the Ctrl+Alt+Del and ALT+F2 problem as well. im going to try the hacky solution tommorow.
    I wanted to do a recovery anyhow ;)

suki22, Aug 21, 2008
  5. timmygcsc2308

acron1

OK I tried it and it works great BUT now my SD card is no longer mounted and my file system is back to the factory 8GB SSD.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your help as I much prefer this desktop to the factory default.

EDIT. I switched back to the factory default desktop and all is back to normal. What gives?

acron1, Aug 21, 2008
  6. timmygcsc2308

IMSancho

Here's the solution I'm using:

Create a file called /home/user/xfdesktop-fix.
    Using your favourite text editor put the following in the file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/xfdesktop-xfce &
    sleep 5
    killall -USR1 xfdesktop-xfce &
    Make the file executable, and move it to /usr/bin/:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /home/user/xfdesktop-fix
    sudo mv /home/user/xfdesktop-fix /usr/bin/
    Now edit /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc and change lines 40 and 46 to the following:
    Code:
    Client0_Command=xfdesktop-fix
    Client3_Command=xfce-mcs-manager.new
    Your wallpaper changes and settings should now stick and other services should all work.

IMSancho, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question