[Linpus] Installing TrueType fonts, yum error

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kitism, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Kitism

Kitism

EDIT: Have actually found a solution. Read below, don't want to actually delete the post because someone might want to know. :D

Hi all,

After spending the last two and a bit hours tweaking my install to look more like Leopard, I've actually come across a hitch that I can't fix by simply googling etc.

I have followed this guide in an attempt to install TrueType fonts, which will eventually (and theoretically) allow me to use Bitstream Vera Sans Roman as a title bar font.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installfonts

Even thought it seems like a measly thing to kick a fuss about, I really won't be too happy with my efforts until it's working, as you do with Linux.

Anyhow, I get up to this instruction;

yum localinstall --nogpgcheck /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm

... and it gives me this:

[user@localhost ~]$ sudo yum localinstall --nogpgcheck /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm
    Setting up Local Package Process
    Cannot open file: /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/noarch/msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm. Skipping.
    Nothing to do

I've searched high and low on google and some forums, and no one seems to have the answer- I've tried alternate tutorials and different .rpm packages, and unlike other problems I run into on Linpus, I honestly have no idea what's happening here and why it's happening.

There aren't too many results on google which tell me why this error is happening, so I was hoping that some of the Linux gods on the forum (you know who you are, and that you want to help :D) could give me a hand in diagnosing the problem.

I'm hoping that alternatively I can just copy a TrueType font from my windows install into a 'font directory' for Linux, if there is one. Is there a font directory for Linux? I tried looking up some instructions on the matter but it looked very convoluted and complicated, and I'm hoping that there's an easier and simpler method.

Thanks all,
    Chris

EDIT: Solution

Since I only needed Bitstream Vera Sans Roman and that's it, this solution seems well fit, I'm quite surprised I didn't try it before. Using Nautilus, I actually did find a directory by searching for *.ttf under 'File System'. By doing that, I realised that the font directory was /usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF. If you have taken out the search bar at the top of the screen, get to Nautilus by clicking the little binocular icon when you open up a file manager (well, you know, pretty much any directory, really). Following that, I downloaded a copy of Bitstream Vera Sans Roman off the internet, a quick Google search revealed that- I then copied it to the directory and voilah- you've got your font.

I'm pretty sure if you found out what fonts were in the MSTT CoreType font pack, you would theoretically be able to do the same thing- however finding out which fonts are included could be a bit tedious to figure out and download individually. You could also probably in future just copy all the .ttf files from a Windows install into the directory. Either way, I'm happy that it's resolved before I'm going to bed (otherwise I wouldn't be sleeping for a while) and yeah, I guess we'll never know what's causing that yum error, but hey! I'm happy :D

Kitism, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Kitism

thaman092

There is a package called "fonty python" makes installing ttfs a breeze...

thaman092, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question